Which Master cylinder is this?

I'm trying to identify a master cylinder on my old kit car without too much success.

It's a 5/8 Girling with integral metal fluid reservoir. It's single circuit as well.

Any idea what these might have come off of? Any idea how I might identify it?

Cheers,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

Any chance of putting pic of it on some web space, and post the URL, what you described above could be anything....

Even giving us the year you believe / know the car was built or what the base mechanical components were taken from might help.

Reply to
Jerry.

They are still on sale. Have a look at Demon Tweaks. AP and Wilwood also sell similar items. The MK1 Escort had this sort of master cylinder.

Reply to
yeha

If its used as a brake master cylinder 5/8" (0.625") was pretty well standard for all small 1960s cars with Girling drum brakes, also many small cars used that size on the clutch. The Girling part number for the cylinder will vary according to the resevoir design and mounting angle, but the Vauxhall Viva HB with Girling Drum used a 0.625" mastercylinder, other likely sources include some Heralds with drum barkes and the Ford Anglia.

Reply to
dilbert

On drum brakes --- with discs it would be 0.75" (3/4") dia

A rough guide to brake mater cylinder sizes is

0.625" --- 60s small/medium cars with drum brakes -- Imp, Anglia, Viva 0.700" --- 60s small/medium car with drum brakes and servo -- Imp Sport 0.750" --- 60s/70s small medium cars with disc brakes but no servo -- Avenger, Viva, Escort 0.825" --- 60s/70s small medium cars with disc brakes with servo -- Avenger, Viva, Escort
Reply to
dilbert

See E Bay

dilbert

Looks suspiciously like a Clutch Master as used on Landrovers, although it had a much smaller reservoir for a LR. Possibly early 88" brake Master Cylinder.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Ah ha! Looks good.

Some useful responses as usual!!

I posted a couple of pics ...

With reference to the other replies - no idea when the car was built. Probably late 80's give of take 10 years!!

I have three of these master cylinders - one for the clutch, one for the front brakes and one for the back.

Many thanks,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

> 83

Looks very Triumph clutch m/c to me - And maybe brake (Dolomite's different, can't remember 1300fwd even though I've just taken one apart). Used on alot of other cars too. Having 3 cylinders doesn't really help identify what the kit was based on I wouldn't have thought!

Reply to
Stuffed

Thanks for the pics. This looks exactly like the one that was in my Standard 10 when I had one. It also looks like what was fitted in various friends cars - Anglia 105E, Herald 1200, Cortina MkI...

I would guess most late 50s or early 60s British small to medium cars with drum brakes and no servo had these on the bulkhead. So you should be able to source replacements and/or overhaul kits from anyone supplying spares for classic Ford, BMC or Triumphs.

Try giving Rimmers a ring - 01522 568000. Their spares people are usually helpful and pretty knowledgeable. Their prices are not likely to be the cheapest though.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

There are some cheap new old stock ones on Ebay just now

Reply to
dilbert

Looks like the usual Girling 5/8" master cylinder. Rebuild kit is part number SP1963 - we sell them for £3.50 each, should be readily available just about anywhere. We have them as this design was used on both drum and disc braked Heralds and single system Spitfires. Also used for clutch master on the same models, Cheers, Bill.

Bill Davies

Hi All,

A wealth of useful information as usual!!

The car is a sandrail based on a beetle - I believe built in the late eighties.

The car is a real bitza so I'm spending more time identifying bits than I am working on it at the moment.

Thanks for the part number - much appreciated. Nice to see someone in the trade willing to help out even when a sale isn't involved.

Cheers,

Martin.

Reply to
Martin