1963 tach/ ca. lic. plate

1] Did different HP engines have different tachometer redlines in 1963? I have a 250 hp. w/5500 redline. Did higher HP's have higher redlines on tach's? 2] I live in Calif. and would like to get the old black and yellow plates that were on it when I moved out of state and had to turn them in. Can I purchase the correct plates on Ebay and register them when I bring the car back when restro. is completed? It is currently licensed in Wash. state. Thanx- lib
Reply to
lib

Yes, solid lifter engines had red band from 6300 rpm to 6500rpm

You need to check with the DMV about that... seems like I heard they'd stopped allowing the use of the old black plates (except for vehicles that already had them when the rules changed), but I'm not sure:

But if they do allow it, the number on the plates you get must be an available number, since many of the black plate numbers have likely been re-issued on new plates. That also means that when you find plates with an unused number, you need to register the car immediately, in case that plate might be reissued to someone else in the interim.

You may be a special case IF you can locate the original number plates that were on the car when it was registered in CA and can prove your car had those plates (then again, they may ask you to pay license or non-op fees for all the years the car's registration wasn't being renewed).

License plates stay with the car, not the owner, unless they are "personalized" vanity plates. I recently got vanity plates for one of my cars, and I wanted to swap the old plates from that car to another car (because it was an easy-to-remember number I'd had for years). I showed up at the DMV (to get my vanity plates) with both the old plates and the plates from the car I wanted to swap them to, and I was told I'd have to choose: keep my old plates on the car or turn them in to get the new vanity plates, no swapping.

Reply to
WayneC

You may want to establish this car as a 'historic vehicle,' (manufactured between 1922 and 1981.)

<
> --yellow on black plate number gets entered on the form then you certify its historic status in section E.

All driving will be on the way to shows, parades and club meetings. You just started several days early (:-) and it's a long distance to get there! If a CHiPs starts camping out in front of your house, you know the game's over.

No sweat on the duplicate number problem if the old plate you get is a legitimate plate (was made by CDC). The "new" plate design (post late '60s) doesn't duplicate any numbers used in earlier series of plates (my memory on this only goes back to 1938.) Only exception would be if someone used a yellow on black number to make a vanity plate -- not likely.

If you live in SoCal and are an auto club member, go there instead of going directly to DMV. The Auto Club license clerks are really great and many times know how to get the job done whereas the average DMV counter clerk only knows how to say, "no."

Run this past the Auto Club: Register the car in Califonria now, in a non-op status. You'll get a current series plate. Then, when restro is completed, re-register as a historic vehicle with the yellow-on-black plate. And, as Wayne suggests, if that was a California plate identified against the VIN --I'm not sure that we had VINs then -- maybe it was the block number), you'd be in clover.

I occasionally see black-on-yellow plates around town -- that series preceded the yellow-on-black. Either these people are breaking a law or the system will accommodate those old numbers.

Best of luck.

Reply to
PJ

Thanx for all the info. I appreciate it greatly. I may still have my original Calif. registration with my old plates # that I turned back in

1977- lib
Reply to
lib