1972 with A/C - Where is the A/C Compressor power connected to the wiring harness??

I'm working on the A/C system on a recently purchased 1972 Coupe. The power connector 12V is connected to the fuse - the other wire from the fuse appears to have been cut. There are 2 cut wires out of the harness but neither has 12V when calling for cooling. It's possible that something is disconnected in the dashboard but I think I just haven't found the right wire.

To simplify the question - the A/C fuse has 2 wires - one goes to the A/C compressor, where does the other one go?

Any help will be a great time saver. - Thanks

John G. Somers Point, NJ

Reply to
getter54

Where is the fuse in question? Is it under the dash in the fuse block, or is it the "thermal limit fuse" in the underhood harness near the compressor? What color are the wires?

Joe, '72 coupe

Reply to
Joe M

a shop manual would help ya.

google is your friend.

no pun intended

-- "Key"

Reply to
'Key

Hi Joe - Thanks for the reply, it's the fuse under the hood, the wire from the fuse to the compressor is green. The wire from the fuse going nowhere looks like it is brown or black.

JG

Reply to
getter54

Hi Joe - Thanks for the reply, it's the fuse under the hood, the wire from the fuse to the compressor is green. The wire from the fuse going

nowhere looks like it is brown or black.

JG

Sorry if this appears twice - google does not seem to be sticking my reply to the correct post. - JG

Reply to
getter54

For an accurate wiring diagram. It shows if there are 'high pressure' and 'pressure cycling switches' in the compressor clutch circuit and whether they are on the hot side or ground side of the clutch.

A number of '70s GM V-8s used the A/C compressor to stop run-on when the ignition switch was turned off. Shop Manual would help with that.

The Clymer diagrams for the C3 don't depict A/C wiring before the 1980 car.

Reply to
PJ

Now there is a tidbit I never heard before, but I never had air until '86, still don't like it.

Reply to
Dad

Reply to
RicSeyler

I was right, a wire was disconnected in the console. The wire I was looking for (green) was there but did not go "on" when cooling was called for because the plug was off the heat/ac control.

John G.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
getter54