S70 1998 with 166k mi A/C stopped working

Second attempt to join group. The A/C was working fine. Then I replaced the alternator and installed a new cabin filter. When the A/C stopped, I assumed I had pinched a wire installing the ALT. Visual inspection dismissed the possibility. Neither the A/C nor the Recirc Light light or flash. There are two wires feeding into the inboard side of the compressor. With all the requirements met (fan on, A/C button in, hot cabin, knob set to maximum cooling) there is zero voltage input to both of these wire to the compressor. Jumping the two pressure switches on the refridgerant lines had no effect. Nothing seem to make the clutch engage. This appears link a blown fuse or fusible link, Please advise. Do I need a Control Panel? Can a control panel be

Reply to
mark barron

Can you confirm that with the AC button pressed that the green light does NOT come on?

If that is the case, then you have lost power to the switch for some reason- initially check the multiplug at the rear of the HVAC controls. (I assume you have manual AC , rather than climate??)

I can check and tell you which fuse the a/c is supplied from if you like.

The ECU has ultimate control of the compressor clutch and condensor fan, but the green light should still come on.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tim, Thanks for your reply. The Green Light does not come on ever(since AC stopped) I have disconnected and reconnected the two multiplugs at back of Control Panel. I do NOT have automatic climate control, but have single switches for both A/C and Recirculation. Temp control knobs are surrounded by red and blue "arrows". Fan is manually controlled. I have checked the two fuses that seemed related,

- Climate diagnostics

- Fuse 31 I wish I had a pinout for the two multicables on the Multicable. I think the CP must have gone bad. I hate to buy one before I can check the expected voltage at the CP. I find plenty of used CPs with automatic climate control, but none without on Ebay. Do I understand it correctly? If the fuse for the CP is good, the light will come on. Is there anything else that could stop power getting to the green light? I need a pinout to check for a ground connection. Perhaps I can assume that a brown cable is ground. I am finding no OBD II error codes. There are two pressure sensors on the refridgerant lines that stop the clutch engaging --- any other things that do this outside the ECU?

Reply to
mark barron

Thanks so much for your reply. The green light on the A/C switch does not come on when pushed in,ever . I have checked fuses, including #31 Climate and one labelled "Climate diagnostics" #5? I have removed and reseated the two multicables at the back of the Control Panel. A/C is not automatic. There is a single button each for the A/C and Recirc and the Temp Control buttons are surrounded by red and blue "arrows". The Fan is manually set. I am seeing plenty of CPs with automatic climate control at Ebay, but none without. I think I need a pinout for the two multicables to see what is arriving and what is leaving. I hate to buy a CP without knowing for sure it is bad. I can not do that without a pinout, as I see it. I have a Haynes Manual , but it does not have an AC wiring map.

At the back of the Control Panel there are two multicable connectors. My finding with car idling Connector #1 Gray Body with six wires Reading directly from connector wires,disconnected from CP

----------------------------------- Volts Blue/Orange 0 Blue/White 0 Blue 0

Grey/Green 0 Blue/Brown 0 Yellow/Purple 13.7

Connector #2 Green Body with 22 positions but 15 wires There is a 12 position and a 10 position side My finding with car key in position 2, not running. Reading directly from connector wires,disconnected from CP

-----------------------------------

10 position side Volts 1 - Gray 0.06 2 - Gray/orang 0.06 3 - Grey/Red 0.06 4 - Grey/Black 0.06 5 - Grey/White 0.06 middle break here 6 - Yellow/Purp 12.71 7 - 10 empty

12 position side

1 - Gray/Brown 0.04 2 - Brown/Orange 0.04 3 - Brown/Pink 0.03 4 - Brown/Green 0.03 5 - Brown/White 0.04 6 - Black (Grnd) 0.0 middle break here 7 - Red 12.4 8 - Pink 0.03 9 - empty 10 - empty 11 - empty 12 - Gray/Blue 0.006
Reply to
mark barron

mark barron

Without looking at the wiring diags (its 3am!) i am fairly sure that the AC switch takes power from the Fan switch- i.e. if the fan switch is in position 1 or greater, then the ac switch gets power. I can let you know which wire should have the ac signal on it when the switch is pressed. This goes straight to the ecu. You may be lacking an earth at the CP which is preventing the green light coming on, but this will not affect the ecu engaging the compressor.

This is not as simple as it first appears.

There is a low pressure switch (on the central bulkhead- 2 wire) which will open when the low side has insufficient pressure caused by a low charge- its there to protect the compressor.

The second 3 wire sensor by the slam panel is a variable pressure transducer which the ecu monitors to control the condensor fan, and compressor clutch to balance what the evap temp sensor tells it.

There is also a super heat switch on the back of the compressor.

Hope this helps so far.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..