1980 Windshield Rust

Obviously I'm referring to the metal frame around the windshield. I also have rusted-out floorboards which I understand would be a fairly inexpensive repair in the sheet metal shop.

I don't live in the snow belt so there's no chassis damage which of course would be a safety issue. The problem is the car has always been a leaker and parked outside. The rest of the car is in pretty good shape.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike,

I'm with the same problem but with the kind of rot you describe... see the post a little further up.

You should look for the corners of the windshield(top and bottom) + at the door pillar + the side rails) try to estimate damage here, before you do any repairs.

YT

Reply to
YT

Thanks YT... I didn't notice your post before.

I've got rust spots all the way down. I don't know why I was just thinking just of the windshield. The door pillar is probably a more serious problem.

About 10 years ago I had to replace the windshield when it mysteriously developed a crack overnight. I suppose that may have been rust related. Fortunately here in Florida your auto insurance company is required to pay for windshield replacement without making you pay a deductable even if you're not carrying comprehensive coverage.

My car's not worth enough to make a major repair investment. Probably best to drive it until a door falls off or something and then just sell it for parts.

Mike

Reply to
Mike