Rust repair around rear window

Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen This is my first visit here after several years. (Used to be a regular when I was doing the kit car project.) A couple of days ago I bought a 1969 Bug. It runs OK, the interior is rough, and the body is in great shape (sort of). There is not a spot of rust on the pan; not even under the battery. The fenders are solid, as is the sheet metal in the trunk and engine compartment. I did see a spot of rust and a paint bubble near the passenger rear window and on the center of the passenger door. Today I popped out the window glass and took my grinder to the "little rust spot". Holy Crap! The metal is rusted through in several places (and damn close in several more) and the cancer runs from about the top of the curve at the back of the window opening along the bottom of the opening to the point where it rises vertically in front. How do I fix this? I'd like to do it myself. I would rather not replace the entire quarter panel. And I want to do the best possible job. The door is rusted through from the inside, but since it's a relatively flat surface the fix is pretty straightforward. Does anyone know of a book or web site that I can use as a reference? I have an oxy-acetylene welding outfit and am considering a MIG welder. Any information will be much appreciated.

Reply to
Harry Balzac

You need a Mig, and some experience. The heat from welding will warp the panels VERY easily, and then you'll be screwed. So keep the weld bursts short and spots cool. Use lots of shield gas, maybe air too to keep the work area cool.

I would treat the fixed areas with lead afterwards. I guess not many people know how to lead anymore. Again heat is your major enemy.

Get ALL the rust and softened metal out.

Jan

Reply to
Jan