1991 Corvette Audio System

I've got a 1991 Corvette Convertible with the delco-bose audio system. When it worked it sounded good. Now my front speakers need to be rebuilt. The rear speakers probable would be next.

My question is: Should I repair the existing audio system - - - or replace the system with a more advanced one? If replacement is better - - - with what? I whant a clear system with great bass.

Reply to
John via CarKB.com

I have the same Bose system. Your right, when it work, it sounds great. Unfortunately, out of the 4 speakers, 1 is still working. I am a electronic designer and judge this design great in audio, but bad automotive audio electronic design. Whoever design the AMP for the speaker cared only the audio circuit, but ignored the temp and voltage environment of the system in an auto. The designer obviously has every little production experience and Bose will not recall such errors made by their designer. Shame on you, Bose. It seem they got their act together in figure out their mistake, but you have to pay for it. Just like Microsoft's WIN95 to WIN98. But I am not finish, yet. My CDs kept poping out of the player until after a year, the player would no longer accept any CD. I had to get the head unit replaced for $350.00. You maybe looking for a new player in the future. I am not the only one with these problems. On my research over the Web, many had similar situation. From my research, it seems that it better to trash the whole Bose, and buy a pioneer replacement. Remember, '91 and possibily '92 are "dog years for any car that has the BOSE audio system". Unfortunately, I am stuck with this headache. I hope this helps.

Ceasar

On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:56:58 GMT, "John via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
LRCR

Every component of the original Bose system of my '91 has been rebuilt by the previous owner at great expense. It may have been a good system at the time, but the sound is awful by today's standards. If anything breaks then it's all being replaced with aftermarket components.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

If you find a radio/CD player that fits the '91 dash, please let me know how I can get one. Unless one is prepared to tackle a SERIOUS rewiring job, it will have to either plug into or adapt to the wiring harness in the car.

I agree with the comments about the system quality. That said, even after replacing all the speakers and amps, my system never returned to the quality level that I remembered.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Funk

It shouldn't be a problem as long as the DIN sized aftermarket radio physically fits the hole in the dashboard. There are mounting kits around if I read correctly on corvetteforum.

As for the wiring, attempting to directly connect the new head unit to the factory amplifiers sounds nearly impossible. I'd just remove all the original components and run new wiring to support aftermarket speakers and an amplifier. The only headache I can think of is the antenna wire that ends somewhere under the passenger side dashboard.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Yes.

The shielded wiring between the Bose components wasn't designed to handle the power (current) for any adequate speaker system. Starting from "scratch" is a pretty good idea.

Reply to
PJ

Yep. Rewire the whole thing.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp