1996 Clutch Question

I have a 1996 vette with the LT4 engine. It has about 50K miles but they were mostly city and stop and go.

Lately the clutch engages much lower than usual when cold then goes back to normal when the car's warmed up.

I was under the impression that when the clutch wore out the opposite occured, that is the clutch engaged higher and higher until eventually it starts slipping.

Is that true? If it is then what might be causing the symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
vette

The earlier C4 clutch linkage used a 'pull' geometry rather than a 'push' and the hydraulics make it 'self adjusting.' At the clutch wears, fluid level in the 'master cylinder' should rise.

Guess: Old/contaminated fluid causes the master cylinder valve to stick a bit when it's cool then work OK when it's warm.

Least expensive thing would be to empty, flush and refill the hydraulic circuit. The '89 calls for GM #12345347 and discourages use of DOT 3 brake fluid. OTOH, my C5 says #12345347 or "equivalant DOT 3" ..... Figure!

Grease monkey's have been known to refill the clutch hydraulics with power steering fluid.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Correct it's a pull linkage. Mine doesn't release as high as it used to either. And it took me a while to think about it, and it "eventually" came to me. :-) Ahhhh it pulls, doesn't push....

Was raised with push clutches where the pedal releases higher as the clutch plate wears down....

Reply to
Ric Seyler