clutch slipping

Hi there.

This is an extreemly useful newsgroup. Saving me a lot of money.

This next issue seems out of my ability to fix, but I'll ask anyway. My clutch seems to be slipping a little bit. I can't nail it down to a certain gear to gear transition, it seems to be pretty random. I can feel the engine rev (slightly) in between gears and then a subsequent jolt when the gear engages. I've also noticed an occasional jolt when the tranny downshifts as I'm slowing. Other times it works fine.

About 50K miles ago, I had a similar yet more pronounced problem where it would take a lot longer to engage, not just the minor annoyance that it is this time. The result was that Ford told me it's a common problem and I needed to get the tranny rebuilt. 500 dollars later, everything worked again, until now.

I'm worried that I might have to rebuild it again eventually. The Ford service guys say they drove it and it feels fine. But, I'm afraid, it's not. It's had regular preventative maintenance over the years. Has anyone else had these problems?

Thanks, troy

2000 Explorer, 4WD XLT, towing package
Reply to
tfandango