2004 Vetter Brakes/Tires Question

I have a 2004 coupe with a little over 28,000 miles. I took it in to the dealer last week for an oil change and they told me that I need brake pads on front and rear and that my front tires need to be replaced soon also. This seems a little early to me but I wanted to check with the group and see if this was in line with what others have experienced. I drive the car daily and most of my mileage is highway mileage with not a lot of stop and go driving. This is my first new Vette but I've had other new cars that have gone much longer on the original brakes and tires. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has including any recommendations for replacement pads and tires instead of the original equipment.

Reply to
KeithSegraves

Did you take the time to look at the brake pads and the tires? You can see the pads by just looking through the spokes of the rims. Front brakes may be getting close and the back should be ok, mine go twice what the front do, and the front tires may be cupped from poor alignment but the back should go first. The only time I've seen the front tires go first is when you're kicking the hell out of it on a regular basis on an autocross course. All that is just a guess, you should know your car better than someone that has never seen it.

Reply to
Dad

On the wife's car (not a Vette), the dealer began around 30,000 miles that the brakes needed to be replaced. I checked them each time and plenty of pad left.

By 60,000, I finally went and changed pads myself since the wife was getting too nervous. (Actually, she was trusting them more than me.) Compared old to the new, there was over one third of the pad still there, much more than I would have replaced them normally. The FIL was here when I changed them, about 30 minutes of our time quite leisurely me working, him watching). Even he realized the dealer was wrong when he saw the old vs. new pads.

Also, the pads from the dealer's parts were something like $60. To have them changed in the dealer's service was going to be nearly $200.

In many ways, Corvettes are like Harleys. If you want to own them, you should be prepared to do much of the maintenance yourself. Or be rich enough that you have too much money and can afford to throw it to the dealer like water.

The fastest way to know if the dealer is right or wrong, is to look at the parts yourself.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Keith

My 1999 C5 has 63000 miles on it and I am about a 1/3 of the way into my 3rd set of tires and on my 3rd set of brake pads. I am also on my second set of rotors. So it sounds about right. The OEM tires wear quickly.

Reply to
DB

I have 48K miles on my 2001 C5 and just got new front brakes and rotors today. Cost was $324 including ceramic brakes. On my second set of tires. Went with Continental Extreme Contact and have enjoyed them since replacing the run flats.

Jason

2001 Pewter C5 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300

Reply to
JasInHollis