63 SB exhaust kit suppliers?

I am going to replace the exhaust system from the manifolds back. Has anyone bought a kit from an online supplier that they would recommend, or warn me who not to buy from? It is a 2" stock system (250 hp,w/o AC or any headers, etc). I want to find one that is not welded, can include the entire hangers, clamps, etc. and installs correctly and relatively easily. This is a driver, not a show car. Thanx- lib

Reply to
lib

If you plan on moving to another part of the country, I'd recommend a national muffler chain like Meinicke with the lifetime muffler warranty. Corvette mufflers do rust out and need replacing, so it doesn't cost any more to get that than just regular mufflers with no warranty.

I wouldn't do Midas as they are so expensive you have paid for two or three sets of mufflers, whether you get them or not.

If you never plan on leaving your area, then check the local muffler shops. A custom bent system can often be a very affordable system that works well and they often give their own warranty for years and years.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

The car is 2 states away in a rural area. My mechanic wants me to get an "exhaust kit" that he can install after the motor is dropped back in. I know I can buy them from Zip, Eckler, etc. I am just want to know if anyone can tell me if they've any experience with these kits + suppliers. PS: I notice these kits come with "stock style"aluminum mufflers. Does anyone have an opinion on these mufflers opposed to replacement "glass packs"? That is what is being replaced and I liked the tone of those mufflers. What is the tone of the "stock" mufflers? Thanx- lib

Reply to
lib

Personally, I'm not an advocate of the custom-bent systems, because the quality is dependent upon the experience level of the person on duty. After a custom-bent system was installed on a 72 Corvette coupe, I discovered a litany of problems. The exhaust pipe didn't seal at the exhaust manifold, one of the exhaust studs was broken, and the genius installer thought that the fiberglass HVAC box would be a good fulcrum point for a pry bar, and gashed a hole in it. If you're a gambler, go for the custom-bent system. If you want a quality installation, do it yourself.

Reply to
klutz

lib, I once bought an aluminized 2" exhaust kit for my '63 from Corvette Central and it worked fine and lasted well. It was an easy install and included mufflers and hangers. I've since changed to a stainless 2 1/2 inch exhaust that a buddy bought for his big block '67 before he decided on side pipes instead.

Reply to
Cool Jet