71 Oil Pressure ??

Well, as suggested, I did install another oil pressure gauge on my

71/350/auto/coupe and the did notice an improvement when it was cold.

Still not quite use what the reference point should be. The 71 has about

94K orginal miles and from what I can tell, the motor is still pretty much orginal, as it is the orginal motor.

When first started, with the new gauge, it indicates about 30-35 lbs when cold. When I put it in gear, it drops to about 25lbs, give or take a few. When in Park and I idle up to about 3000 rpms, the reading goes up to about

50, with the new gauge.

When warmed up and in gear, going around the block, the new gauge reads about 25 to 35.After I let it warm up, like going around the block, and put it in park, the pressure drops to about 12lbs with the new gauge. With the orginal gauge, it read "0" or near it.

So, it looks to me as if I do have sufficient pressure, but I wanted to check with the folks here to see if these readings are in the normal range?? If so, then I think I just need to get another corvette gauge for console.

If not, then I am open to suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks in Advance.

Reply to
jjjoseph

Using Mobil 1 10W30 in 80 degree weather today the '72 run about 5 pounds higher than yours. The engine is stock original with 64,000 miles and the pressure fluctuates about the same as yours.

Reply to
Dad

I see similar pressure fluctuations on my '75 original motor/103m miles, but doesn't 12 psi seem a bit low ? I'm using petroleum base oil 10w40.

Reply to
W. Moore

Keep the info coming as this is useful and I do appreciate the responses. I was thinking that 12 seem low as well, but I talked to another with a 68 convertible and he was thinking his was in this range as well, but he wasn't sure as he hasn't driven it for a bit.

thanks JJJSLJ

Reply to
jjjoseph