73 leaking heater core question

I am going to just bypass this for now, but I have another question. If I have the the heat off and temperature turned to cold will the coolant still flow thru the heater core? Or is there a shutoff valve when you turn it to cold? I want to drive it this weekend (it's supposed to be the last nice one). I am not going to replace the core because of the extent of the work that needs to be done and plus i will never drive it in cold weather and the engine throws enough heat as it is. Thanks.

Tony

Reply to
tony kujawa

"tony kujawa" wrote in message news:43676afc$0$41150$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunsite.dk...

if your heater core leaks ? you will have to bypass it to stop from loosing coolant..

then simply bypass it...

g'day

Reply to
'Key

There's no factory bypass that I'm aware of - the coolant constantly circulates through the heater core whether heat is desired or not. This was pretty common in at least the Chevys of that era and before.

When I lived in Arizona, many folks put in their own bypasses to try to keep as much of the engine heat on the engine side of the firewall as possible.

You have my sympathies with having to change out the core - it's not a pleasant job by any means.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

Reply to
Larry & Michele

Thanks all