85 to 92 Corvette Question

I haven't owned a Corvette in almost 30 years (my last one was a '71 big block) so I am out of touch with the major changes. I am thinking of trying to recapture my lost youth by getting a used 'vette convertible. The 1985 to 1992 models seem to be in the price range I am looking for, but all the ones I find on the web for sale are automatic. Didn't they offer manual transmissions during those years?

Reply to
aviation

================================ Yes they did..... 4 +3 manual trannies were available until 1988 a 6 speed came available in 1989

Buy the newest C4 you can find... each year was slightly better the the previous... The LT-1 was introduced in 1992.... the older C4's in your date range had L98 engines...

Lots of luck Bob G.

64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
Reply to
Bob G.

The 6-speed ZF trans was available after 89, I think (I owned an 89 and still own a 90) but when I went looking for my new Corvette in 1989 I coulnd't find what I wanted (ZF 60-speed, Z51, etc) anywhere in my area.

The problem areas I've experienced are

(1) alternators failing at about 40,000 miles on both cars (2) hydraulic clutch failure on the 89, wrecking the ZF (really happy that was a warranty repair (3) leak in the head gasket at the rear on the passenger side (4) clutch replacement at 55,000 miles on the '90; they never did figure out what car the clutch Mid-America shipped me was intended for, it certainly wasn't a 1990 early production Z51 (5) failure of the Bose CD/tape system (it's cheaper to have it repaired than replaced, but I have no idea about the reliability; the original system was only OK when new) (6) failure of both control modules (the one controlling the cash plus the special one for the temperature-controlled AC system

By modern standards the C4 is not very powerful, but the handling (of my Z51) is excellent.

Mike Squires

1990 Z51 black/black
Reply to
Michael Squires

What is the price range you are trying to stay within?

Reply to
Bababooey

If you are staying within the 1985-1992 range you might consider the Opti situation in the 1992.

Reply to
benf802961

If you are staying within the 1985-1992 range you might consider the

What is the OPTI situation in the 1992?

Reply to
Bababooey

Reply to
john smith

the opti spark was was used for the 1st time in 92... not a problem unless you get it wet... in 94 it was redesigned (vented) to allow moisture to excape...

Bob G

Reply to
Bob G.

Hey John, not 100% the case. I just went thru optispark hell a year ago on my 92. I wished many times in there that I had a 91 instead. My opti failure was where coolant got into the unit and took out the low-res optical sensor. Engine won't run without that, and the delteq uses the opti's optical sensors to make it spark. Otherwise, yeah, great idea. So I still can't really clean the engine like I'd prefer to.

But for the original poster, consider that distributor as a weak point in the design, right up there with the lower front shock mounts. Early (84) lower control arm had threaded mounting holes, change shock in 15 minutes, later (92) nut under control arm (basically same shock) so now tire has to be removed to replace shock.

I miss my 84, but the 92 sure is fun when it isn't running hot.

(has the traditional pre-summer thread about engine temps begun yet?)

But no matter what, they sure do beat anything else on the road for appearance. And still...my 92 gets comments from people at gas statioons, supermarket lots, etc.

-GeorgeC

92 Red/Red LT-1

Reply to
GeorgeC