Where to buy SVT Shelby GT 500 without 20k markup?

I realize that these cars are not currently available but does anyone here know any SVT dealers that abide by a 'no-markup' policy? Looking to order & purchase the new SVT Shelby GT 500 without paying a 20k markup. Any ideas?

Reply to
Anthony Watters

If you give me 10 grand, I will tell you.

-- Wound Up TS 65

Reply to
Wound Up

Sure I'll sell you mine for only a 19.9k markup.

Reply to
Zombywoof

You've been underbid! =)

Reply to
Wound Up

I got one answer from the guy at the chicago autoshow and another answer when I called SVT.

The former said the cars would goto SVT dealers based on how many '04 cobras they sold in an effort to stop the mark up. The later said the cars will be split up amung all ford dealers based on sales.

If the later, odds are 20K mark ups will be rampant as most stealerships will just mark up their one GT500 and sit on it until some sucker pays it. If they really do put the preference on high volume SVT dealers then there is hope, because the ones that sell the most cobras are probably not doing the mark up BS.

I just get the feeling Ford doesn't want me buying anything from them sometimes.

Reply to
Brent P

So how would someone contact Ford SVT (not their tech line) to get the real answer? I've called the SVT Information center and did not really get much of an answer.

Anyone have any personal contacts at Ford SVT?

Reply to
Anthony Watters

I just got the 1800fordsvt number from the guy at the autoshow and that's what I called. Seems they didn't know people were being told to call them or I was the only one who followed through.

I need to find a better 'ear' at ford myself. But then again, if they paid attention to people they might be able to ease their problems somewhat.

Reply to
Brent P

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The bottom line seems to be that the GT500 is falling in right along with the ol' Cobra R. Sure, Ford is making them, but there's a snowball's chance in hell you'll be getting one for anywhere close to the advertised price, if at all.

Ford is blowing it again - they put out a simply fabulous car but nobody except the elite few can get one. End result - a lot of pissed off almost-but-not-quite customers.

Joe

They expect us to buy lesser mustangs and tauri. If I can't get a GT500 or don't like it I'm buying something German, something old, or nothing at all.

Reply to
Brent P

I think the initial rush for the GT500 will drive the price up to $50k-$60k but if they build 7,000+ this model year, like I was told at the DC Auto Show, I think the price will level out to a few thousand over sticker. Then next year if they do another 7,000 unit run the price might even get below sticker. Then again I might be full of $hit. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

here around ky they did the same with the 03 mach 1`s to there surprise they still had alot of them on there lots come fall 03. on 1 lot close by they still had 3-03 mach 1 cars with 2 new 04`s right beside them. the 03 cars where priced at 36500.00 when they first got them. if i`m correct the sticker price was between 29000.00 to 32000.00 that i remember. any one here able to buy a mach 1 what what your price? mp

Reply to
Michael price

It's all in how ford distributes them and how many suckers there are. Way too many people out there with more money than brains.

Reply to
Brent P

Damn, story of my life.

Reply to
Zombywoof

Remember back to the Plymouth Prowler the supposed "Street Rod" for the masses and Chrysler's attempts to put it at an affordable price point and keep it there? That certainly didn't happen. I've often wondered exactly how many of these are sitting across the country shrink wrapped in someone's climate controlled garage.

Reply to
Zombywoof

The ever infamous supply & demand equation. Restrict supply, up demand and along with it price. How many GT's went for anything near MSRP?

Reply to
Zombywoof

While anything is possible in this day of e-bay, I don't think the premium will be $20k, although I have no doubt those with more money then sense will pony up that much.

Reply to
Zombywoof

Ain't that the truth.

Reply to
Zombywoof

I don't think it will matter how dealers get their hands on them. The Ford GTs saw a lot of hype and were priced through the roof when they first hit the showrooms. Pricing for them has leveled off substantially. I think there are just so many buyers at a certain price point and spreading the cars around to many dealers won't increase that number. Plus, if Ford makes over 14,000 in a two year run the Shelby just won't be that rare. The Cobra R is not a good comparison because they truly made that a limited production run vehicle (around 300 units, IIRC). Personally, my limit is $45k-$50k for a loaded convertible. Anymore than that will make me look hard at other cars from Mercedes, Lexus, Corvette etc. No matter how Ford wants to spin it they are still selling a Mustang and I bet the general public won't let them forget that fact. Sure there will be the buyers that will pay any price but they will fade out quick. IMO, patient will be rewarded when buying a GT500.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Does SAMS still have that option to buy new Ford Vehicles? I think I read here that people were able to get a mustang GT @ retail back when they were being marked up a lot.

Reply to