AAAAAARRRRGH!!!

I decided to take the day off work and get some things done around the house. About 11:00, the school calls to say that my step-daughter-to- be is sick and needs to go home. Fiancee jumps into the SUV and it won't start (I later determine that it is TOTALLY OUT OF GAS in the driveway!!).

"Go ahead and take the Corvette, honey."

It's not like it's a terribly difficult car to drive. Unless you're trying to get in trouble it's pretty docile. She can drive a stick with no problem (uh-huh-huh-uhuh-uh) and she drove it to work a few times when I needed the SUV.

Not 5 minutes later, the phone rings. Her cell number is on the caller ID. Uh-oh.

"The car has a flat tire."

"Honey, the car has run-flats. It can't have a flat tire."

"Something happened and the car slid off the road."

AAAAARRRRRGH!!!

Now there's a dead SUV in the driveway, a truck in the garage with the engine removed, and my 2000 C5 in a ditch a couple of miles out with my fiancee in it. And the kid is still at school, sick. The only thing left that ran at that point was a dirt bike so I fired it up and took off. It's 10 below freezing.

She drove off the inside edge of the one and only corner between our road the the school. The jagged asphalt edge ripped about 15" of sidewall out of a nearly new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP run-flat. I've never seen a tire so completely destroyed. There didn't seem to be any sign of impact to the wheel, suspension, floor pan, oil pan, etc. Bad luck for the tire, but good luck for the car - I hope. It's probably due for an alignment after that.

The Michelins were great performing tires but the rears balded in the center with 75% tread left on the outsides. Even with 20PSI and a constant annoyance of the tire pressure monitoring system, the center tread wore down to the casing. They were on the car when I bought it or else I'd demand compensation. On the plus side, they really will work with no air pressure. We were able to limp the car to school, pick up the kid, and limp back home. The extra $200-$500 for run flats must have saved me $50 for the towing bill.

I decided on a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Seasons for replacements. Quiet and long lasting are all I really want. The Michelins lasted

20k miles so they cost $4.50 per day of commuting.

What's left of the old rears will be going up in a cloud of smoke very soon. The video will go on Youtube for my 3 minutes of fame.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Sounds like you need another car ---

Reply to
tww1491

or the engine needs to go back into the truck in the garage :-)

Reply to
'Key

That's the plan. The 4-cylinder is out of the Toyota and an L98 5.7L V8 is on it's way in - TPI and all. 2500 pound truck with 345ft/lb torque should be fun! Should be done in a couple of weeks. Wish I had it today...

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Oh, I should add:

It's just a car. I thank God she didn't hit a tree or something. People get killed all the time that way. Whatever car, I'd gladly haul it to the junkyard if nobody got hurt. We got lucky.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

sounds awesome ! new of a guy in the past that had a 327 small block sitting in the back of a chev-vega. that sucker was quick......

Reply to
'Key

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

agree, cars are easily replaced..

glad yall got lucky !

Reply to
'Key

What did he have powering the Chevy Vega to make it move so quickly with all that weight in the back? The Vega was a front engine, RWD car. You saying that he converted it to rear engine?

Reply to
Say What?

I know of someone who put a Cadillac 500 cubic inch V8 in the back of a Yugo. The original Yugo engine sits up front and apparently the car can be driven off either engine. It hard to believe but I've seen the pictures.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

aRKay

Me and a buddy were on the receiving end of a Chevy Vega w/ a 454 under the hood. Smoked our 69 SS Camaro.

Reply to
Spud

yep... "had a 327 small block sitting in the back of a chev-vega"

Reply to
'Key

Beetle 700 hp 427 big block Chevy!

More here

ZÿRiX

Reply to
Ric Seyler

the Vega I seen, the man put the 327 in the back..

Reply to
'Key