Black Hills

Has anyone been to a Black Hills Corvette Classic? I'd appreciate any reviews/comments.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

It has been 13 years since I was there and I'm sure it is different as these shows/events seem to grow over the years. That was only a few years after Dances With Wolves came out and part of it was shot just off Spearfish canyon. Interesting seeing the camera mounts and plaques where the listed time, weather, scene number, and everything for retakes if needed. It was down some gravel roads but was worth it with some of the small waterfalls we saw in the stream. More Corvettes than you thought possible, like when you go to Carlisle, MAD Corvette Fest, NCM events, NCCC convention, or any of the Corvette forums events.

It was above 100 degrees that year and Spearfish canyon was much cooler. We stayed in Deadwood at the hotel which was a bit expensive but it had air-conditioning so price was not the deciding factor. Many more things to do than we took time to do, you just can't do it all. Plus I don't race my Corvette when I'm 1,200 miles from home.

Went on out to Applevalley CA. to see some old friends and then back home through Sturgis just in time to hit the beginning of the bikers. Three weeks on the road was enough but most was in the wide open country and many National parks.

To sum it up, the event gets a little overwhelming but then I'm old enough that those kind of events are getting a bit much for me. Would I do it again? You bet, would try almost anything at least once.

Reply to
Dad

my wife and i shot it for vette in 98. we went to the first showing of the c5 convertible at the factory then back to az through the black hills. if you do it, don't forget the caravan across the state. lots of things to do, hundreds of vettes, tours through the beautiful country around there. if you race (drag, autox) they have that too. lots of shows.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

never been to the "Black Hills Corvette Classic" but have been to Sturgis and the Black Hills many times. the Black Hills from Spearfish all the way down to Custer, sure is beautiful to see. also a lot of history in those hills !

g'day

Reply to
'Key

Thanks to you and all who have replied. Some members of our local 'Vette club have been tossing around the idea of going.

Unrelated, the Corsa Power Pulse exhaust system has arrived. Now I need to find time to install it. Haven't decided what I'll do after that, but I've found a set of 5-spoke wheels I like for a good price at TireRack.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

Just be sure to go wider than stock on the rears! :-) The only way to go when replacing wheels.

Reply to
RicSeyler

Has anyone been to a Black Hills Corvette Classic? I'd appreciate any reviews/comments.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

never been to the "Black Hills Corvette Classic" but have been to Sturgis and the Black Hills many times. the Black Hills from Spearfish all the way down to Custer, sure is beautiful to see. also a lot of history in those hills !

g'day

Thanks to you and all who have replied. Some members of our local 'Vette club have been tossing around the idea of going.

Unrelated, the Corsa Power Pulse exhaust system has arrived. Now I need to find time to install it. Haven't decided what I'll do after that, but I've found a set of 5-spoke wheels I like for a good price at TireRack.

Just be sure to go wider than stock on the rears! :-) The only way to go when replacing wheels.

Ric, what size can I switch to? I need to have the stock wheels worked on anyway. There's some pretty noticeable pitting on the right rear, but if I might let that ride because I'm just going to store them off.

I remember some time back you did a lot of things to your '94 all at once, can you remind me what all you did? Have you done anything to try to stiffen the frame? I bought a C4 because that fit the budget, but I agree with Dad about the "flexible flyer" moniker. Surely something can be done about that.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

Let's see, I put it up on jackstands, pulled all the wheels off to polish them inside and out and re-paint (epoxy) the calipers and rotor hats, replaced the top of door seals (they rot quick), re-dyed the inner fenderwells, polished the exhaust before the mufflers (with green scotchbrite pad), painted the mufflers and tailpipes flat black again, K&N Filter w/open top housing, had the B&M Ripper Shifter installed, replaced all the U Joints & rear wheel bearings in the rearend and had the convertible top replaced.

The rear wheels are 17x11 w/7.75 back spacing w/335 Goodyears. No rubbing, but they do stick out of the fenderwell just a tad, and I mean just a very slight tad.

Being a ragtop it already has the X member brace installed, but it still is "flexible", no way around that really.

Reply to
RicSeyler