Body lift question

I'm planning to lift the body of my '78. How much does the body weigh (assuming seats, battery, etc... are out)? I'm thinking of building a gantry crane out of 4x4 lumber. Has anybody tried this? Would it hold? Thanks

Reply to
Pelly

Greg

Corvette bodies have been lifted off by mere mortals for years. It took 3 of us to lift off a 63 coupe and 2 of us removed a 57. Both were moved and blocked until they were high enough to roll out the frame. One I saw lifted by 3 small rope block and tackles from garage rafters, worked well but I'm not a fan of ropes. It would be very presumptuous of me to assume what you can build to safely remove a body.

As to the total weight I wouldn't even venture a guess that you might use to build a safe lifting device. Whatever you do be safe and then be doubly safe so you can enjoy that Corvette.

Take a look at this site for some insight into what your project will entail.

Dad

LOLOLOL Quote of the Day!!!

Dad wrote:

Reply to
RicSeyler

Though I've never had the pleasure myself, I've seen a number of pictures that show about 4-6 people lifting. Given that, I'd venture to estimate that building a lifting system capable of 1000 pounds would far exceed the actual requirement but maintain a good safety margin.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats