Body lift question

Dear fellow Jeepers;

I am preparing to install a 2.5" speing lift on my YJ. Before getting to that, I want to lower the existing 3" body lift to 1" for obvious reasons. Since my body mounts are approaching 10 years of service, I am looking into using a lift from Daystar which replaces the old mounts completely. My local equipment pusher tells me that it's not a good idea, that replacing the original mounts with one-piece Daystar blocks will make the tub very stiff on the frame. Any Daystar users out there that can tell me about their rides? Is my shop-buddy misleading me because Daystar is not in his stock? Thanks for any views on this.

Regards,

-Kris

------- Spam decoy, disregard: snipped-for-privacy@eunet.no

Reply to
Kris

I did that kind of a job on a YJ and I just put the old mounts in a miter box and cut them in half. Then another friend put the left over half in their YJ.

Mike

Kris wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks, Mike. That's an interesting possibility that I didn't consider.

-Kris

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Kris

If you're careful with the cuts, I know somebody who might take the left-overs off your hands ;-)

-- Old Crow 24 hours in a day... '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' 24 beers in a case... '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande Co-incidence? I think not. ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

The mounts were hex shaped and tapered a bit at each end, so to get a square cut I had a chunk of wood kicking around to fit under the tapered end to keep square cuts. I used my 'sawsall' reciprocating saw to cut them.

We just used my driveway tree and a hand winch on the roll bar to lift the body and did one side at a time. It was a pretty fast job actually.

Mike

Kris wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'd be happy to give the halves to you. Don't know if it's worth the shipping, though. I'm in Norway... ;-)

Thanks for the hints Mike. I think I might have the right tool for the job. But all in all, I get the feeling that you agree with me that the Daystar setup IS stiff, and that keeping the body mount halves will make the ride more bearable, right? Off to the shop...

-Kris

Old Crow wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

snipped-for-privacy@eunet.no

Reply to
Kris

Yes. Poly mounts are vibration routes. Rubber mounts are better for ride.

If you like the ride you have now, then I would stay with the same material.

Mike

Kris wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 11/26/03 13:50, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Speaking of which, anyone know of a good safe lubricant for?

Shock absorber bushings are squeaking, and it is bothering the mouse.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I find silicone spray works well on rubber parts.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 11/26/03 15:58, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Pretty much the schedule. However, the real question was for polyurethane shock mounts. Whether or not a rubber lube or silicon spray would hurt or even work worth a darn. Perhaps graphite or moly powder if I could figure out how to get the powder into the joint without pulling them off and remounting.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You have poly shock bushings?

The silicone spray will still work great. WD40 will even work for a while, but it wears out fast, the silicone seems to stick around for a season.

Mike

Mike Romain

The best thing I've found for the poly bushings is the copper colored anti-seize.

Chris

Approximately 11/26/03 16:26, Mike Romain uttered for posterity:

Yeah, standard on the Rancho adjustables, bright red yet.

Will give it a shot. Just didn't want to damage the urethane as is PITA to get at them. No big deal on a trail, but in quiet city the squeaking is getting annoying when driving over speed bumps and ricemobiles.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)