C5 goes on regular

Yesterday our gas prices jumped 30 cents, overnight. Now $3.56/gal.

Will follow Dad's footprints. C5 got its first fillup with regular. I tossed in a bottle of Techron additive.

Any suggestions on the ratio of Techron to fuel?

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Techron is a fuel system cleaner, not an octane booster. But, you should use the 20oz bottle in the C5.

You'll be better off in the long term to stick with 91 octane gas as mentioned in the owner's manual. While the car will run okay on regular, it will pull timing (and lose power) to compensate. And you will likely have a buildup of carbon deposits. So, if/when you switch back to 91+ and get on it or drive on a hot day, you'll end up with pinging that the computer can nolonger compensate for.

Reply to
LDaVinci

I think is somewhere around 12oz per tank.

more info on Techron

g'day

Reply to
'Key

the computer should re-adjust during a couple of tanks of 91 octane. I use middle grade (89 octane) in my c-4 and run some Lucus fuel injecter cleaner

it once a month. my2¢

Reply to
'Key

Just curious what state are you in? Where I am, it was earlier today at $2.56 (Texas) but I don't know if it jumped tonite.

Reply to
Jerry

As of this morning $3.05 for premium at a BP here in northwest Indiana, also up about 30 cents from a week ago. I guess I'm willing to pay the $.20 per gallon for the better stuff. Both the Acuras want premium too... :-(

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

IF I can not afford to feed the car what it needs to put smiles on my face then I'll have to sell the car....

A car with POWER and the ability to push my back into the backrest when I rest my right foot on the gas pedal at floor level puts smiles on my face NOT a car that saves me 70 cents per tank full of gasoline...

Just my opinion...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

San Diego. Ten days ago we were at 3.06 for premium. It crept up a couple of pennies a day. Wednesday morning we awoke to a 30 cent jump.

Most stations dropped back a nickel, some a dime, yesterday.

C5 owner's manual allows 87 but I've never tried it. I've got a hi-desert run to make Sunday thru Tuesday so will get some education on this.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Reply to
Bob I

On or about Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:07:30 -0700, pj wrote or did cause to be written:

You might want to check your mileage. I find that even 89 vs, 93 pulls the timing enough to drop the mileage almost 5%. That's 15 cents a gallon.

Reply to
Dale

$3.56 is out and out *ROBBERY*!!!

Wonder how the petro Corps. profits will be at the end of the quarter. The petro Corps. are the individuals who are driving UP the oil prices. When BP was in Cleveland they had two (2) floors in the BP building dedicated to oil trading.

Cleveland, OH w '98 C5. It's never had anyth> Yesterday our gas prices jumped 30 cents, overnight.

Reply to
John Smith

On the way home from work, same station had dropped the price to $2.89/gal for premium. Go figure.

AJM

Reply to
CardsFan

Whats the price difference between a full tank of Premium vs a full tank of Regular plus a bottle of Techron?

Reply to
benf802961

Pay for your gas with a Discover gas card. With the 5% cash back on gas, you save another $.15 per gallon.

Reply to
JimH

As was pointed out earlier, Techron is a fuel system cleaner, not an octane booster. One would not typically run Techron in every tank. I use it once or twice a year.

Other than that, don't yell at me. I use premium and switch brands every few thousand miles. While I think Big Oil is ripping us off, I like to have the all horsepower under my right foot that the motor was designed to have.

AJM '93 Ruby Coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

That's exactly what I was thinking. And jeez, a 30 cent per gallon rise for 15 gallons is only $4.50- are they saying they can't afford the $4.50?

Reply to
Jon