C5 headlights -

Merry Christmas all. Either I am getting older or the headlights on my C5 seem to be too dim for me. It is especially troublesome on the low-beam side. It looks like the beam is "hitting" the road about 20 feet in front of the drivers side and only slightly better on the pax side. I have the silverstar bulbs in there now and did not see any improvement. Anyone running better LED bulbs or street legal HIDS? Te lights look fairly good on hi-beam, but practical in traffic. Thx

-FBNE

Reply to
FBNE

I would think any of the major catalog companies would have all the possible aftermarket options listred.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

First off I'd align what you have and then put them on a direct power feed. A good site to read is

I'm not sure he still sells a relay kit but they are not hard to make, look under products. Was your car new when you got it and/or have you or the previous owner changed any settings or equipment besides bulbs? Do the headlight doors open equally? I've never had the issues you speak of with the C5 so I've never tried the changes you desire. I have seen some very poor results with some of the HID changes at quite an expense. Since I now drive a C6 the headlights are more than adequate and require no updates.

If there are LED headlights for the C5 now I'd surely consider them but have yet to see them offered by anyone.

Reply to
Dad

Headlight door's??????

Reply to
Roy

Yep, group 2 item numbers 10249744 RH and 10447810 LH, DOOR HDLP OPG, but I quit on a manual update at 2001 because I don't need those number anymore since I went to the C6. Just saying the numbers may have changed after 2001 but I doubt it on those items although the side shields and plugs did change, items 4 and 32 group 2, sometime before 2001.

Reply to
Dad

I am the second owner, bought it in 2004 with 9K now has 59K I pulled the entire headlight assembly yesterday and the adjustment rod is pooched. It is jammed and will not rotate at all. This is the large gold/bronze colored rod. I see a torx head on the the end of the screw it drives (inboard) it drives, but it is frozen as well. I never noticed a problem until I put the silverstar bulbs in. Thought maybe I just didn't seat them correctly, but that wasn't the issue.

Reply to
FBNE

I put in a full set of HIDs on my C5 a few years ago. What I noticed was that the bulb angle in the socket can be different and therefore affect the angle of the beam. I had to adjust them all and they have been perfect since. You can spot a deer a long ways away,

Reply to
Blue C5

Most of the after market Corvette outfits like Zip

sell replacement parts like the motor and the internal gear, if that's what failed. Not sure how an adjustment rod would fail or what you have described. Could it be the drive shaft for the internal gear that won't move?

Reply to
Dad

Dad's spot-on with the relays. Did direct feed from a new fuse for both the C4 and C5. C4 voltage at the headlamp socket improved from 10.8 volts to 14.0. C5 from just under 12 to over 14.2. Plenty of light on the road now!

Silverstars in both cars.

Reply to
pj