How far would you go for finishing part on a classic Corvette?

How far would you go to get a finishing part on a classic Corvette restoration project? In my book "Vette Head's Not Dead" some retired military guys travel halfway across the country and get into a lot of trouble with corrupt cops, and a rightwing militia while trying to recover a buried Muncie transmission from a classic Corvette. I will send a free autographed copy of my book to the person who posts the craziest story of their own quest for Corvette perfection on alt.autos.corvette by October

15th. My book is currently available on Amazon.com and several other vendors. I must tell you all that nothing I personally did for a car part was quite as crazy as what goes on in the book, but that's another story. Thanks, Lee A. Sweetapple
Lee