DAWN, clean to a fault.

These aren't the links I was after, but they do show the cars in the plant.

I also just checked a '68 I have apart. The inner door panel is steel (not the interior panel) and is assembled to the door prior to paint. When the car is painted, there is paint on the outside of the door, the inside of the door, and overspray through most holes and apparently down the window slot from the patterns I could see inside the door.

If you trap soapy water, then the rinse water should also be trapped there. So you have the issue of water rusting as much as you do with soapy water. If you actually rinse with a lot of water, there shouldn't be any soapy water, just clear.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

But as you know, paint doesn't stop a car rusting, just delays it.

Except soapy water (assuming it contains salt, which most/all dishwashing detergents do) will make it rust faster due to the higher salinity.

Agree 100%. Or you could just wash with something else & not worry so much about the rinsing. It's been a problem here most of the year as we've had a hosepipe ban, so rinsing thoroughly isn't easy!

Reply to
Preston

No, it stays until it rains - which tends to happen a lot here during winter/spring.

Reply to
Preston

Snip

Actually not as true as I thought it would be, salt that is, the bare metal nail test was pulled this morning and it is quite interesting. Replaced them and am going to put them in the barn until next year.

Got my son's family with 4 girls here for Christmas and no time to waste on it right now but will post pictures and description soon.

Reply to
Dad

Hey Guys..give it up ..never saw such a bunch crap over nothing.....all you poor saps have to do...??? hate to even reply to this topic but I never ever saw so much time wasted by so many...don't any of you have any brains at all. Is this your life..bunch of losers if I ever came across any.

Reply to
Lone Wolf

Yeah verily! Looked like a bunch of blind rats running through a maze. {{#-[

As the beer makers say, "it's the water."

Find stuff that works well with your tap water. Juggle the temperature a bit. With some nasty water you might want to find a wetting agent to use in the rinse.

Happy holiday to all.

Reply to
PJ

Thanks and the same to all from here too. As to the wetting agent, exactly what I do... use vinegar for breaking down the hard water and Jetdry for making the water more slippery. Washed 2 cars today before the rain and they still look fine. Even the windows look almost like new. I find I don't have to wax as often too.

OT: I joked with my wife about when we retire and replacing a car with a corvette to travel around the country. It didn't seem to bother her a lot so it may actually come to pass (she's not into sports cars per se)

One question comes to mind, with the 06/07 vettes, if you have had back problems in the past, does getting in or out of the car, aggravate your back? Most of the time, my back is fine unless I do something stupid and it lets me know real fast when I'm stupid.

Reply to
No Vette Yet

Men must just like dry hands? You don't see men use gloves while washing dishes?

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Maybe you should be out saving the planet from hot rodders instead.......... then you wouldn't have time to be bothered by all us losers.

Reply to
RicSeyler