Disc Brake Conversion on C2

I'm considering doing a front disc brake conversion on my '63 and have been looking at Stainless Steel Brake Corporation's "Front Force 10 2-Piston Aluminum Caliper Disc Brake Kit ". I was advised by a local speed shop that the 2 piston kit is excellent for a C2 and that a 3 or 4 piston system would be a waste of money. I presently have the stock system with the single bowl master cylinder and one brake-line. Has anyone done this conversion and do you have any suggestions or recommendations? The kit has the dual bowl master cylinder and all the necessary hardware, including the proportioning valve. Did anyone who did the conversion have any unpleasant surprises? Any pointers? All and any feedback would be appreciated. Here's a link to the product:

StingRay

You know that you can bolt on any '65 to '82 Corvette disc brake system with only a few problems.

The easy way is to get spindles, calipers, and rotors from the front of one, then get complete trailing arms, rotors, spindles, etc from the rear.

On a '63 and I think '64, you then have to cut the rear rubber snubber mount off, as it sticks outboard and hits the caliper. You can get the one from a '65 up and weld on if you want/need it.

The '65 up frame has a indent in the frame to clear the caliper, but I think most clear even on the '63 and '64 without the indent.

Then run the standard Corvette dual master cylinder. You can get all of it for less than the price of this conversion and if you add a power booster, you will pull your teeth off the windshield.

Of course, if you watch eBay, you can find an entire chassis and just trade, so you don't even have to change snubber mounts. You will have to cut out the kickup braces on a late '68 up chassis, though, to fit under a Sting Ray.

proportioning

Tom in Missouri

====================== Wish I could remember but it has been at least 10 years ,maybe longer, since I tossed on a set of front disc on my 64 ... I usually buy from s Brakes & Products but I am not sure if they sold me what I needed or not... Anyway I retained the single chamber master cylinder, and used regular Corvette C3 style calibers and rotors...I can not remember having any difficulty ...it was (I think) a straight forward job... ...

Bob Griffiths

64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
Reply to
Bob G.

Thanks for the great feedback Tom! I had talked to a buddy who put C3 brakes on his '64 and he said that he had to do a fair bit of cutting and fabrication to make it work. From what you're saying, he may have exaggerated a bit. He also had problems clearing the hood with the booster/dual master cylinder he used. I thought about using '65 parts but then reconsidered and decided that I'd like a more modern system, although I may reconsider this route again. Thanks again for your advice and input.

Reply to
StingRay

Thanks for the great feedback Bob. The single chamber master cylinder really worries me and is the main reason that I started to consider a disc conversion when I go to a dual bowl master cylinder. I have always worried about the single chamber because it could be catastrophic if the single line failed while driving at speed. I have the brakes checked regularly but I just don't trust the old system since dropping the ZZ4 engine into the car. Did you use a booster on your '64?

Reply to
StingRay

try these folk . They have always answered my questions and have great products

Kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

No.... I am not a NCRS freak BUT my 64 only has two faults... misdated expansion tank and the wrong bracket for the transistorized ignition everything else is correct and I have tons of documentation all the way back to the original order forms which were signed in Vietnam...

I still felt that I would feel a little better with disc brakes on the front so I put them on...BUT retained the single chamber master cylinder...now the car has 3 things wrong with it...

Who cares.. I drive it and have no intention of selling it

Bob Griffiths

64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes
Reply to
Bob G.

Thanks for the link Kickstart. I went right through VB&P's website but couldn't find any conversion kits for a '63. I'll call them tomorrow to see if they have one. I suspect that Tom in Missouri is right when he says that the '63 & '64 were put together a bit differently.

Reply to
StingRay

I'll probably pass on the booster too. The disc brakes should be a significant improvement over the stock drums, even without a booster. You caught my attention with your comment about the transistorized ignition. I had always thought that the '65 was the first year with the transistorized ignition. Live and learn!

It doesn't sound as if you have any regrets about putting discs on. My mind is just about made up. Now I just have to figure out which product to use.

Likewise. I've had the car for about 17 years now and I'll drive it 'til I drop. Which hopefully is longer off once I put the discs on it!

Thanks for your sage advice Bob! - StingRay

Reply to
StingRay

I didn't see any direct matches either , a call should do it. I'd be willing to bet they know what to do, first hand. I've been changing over the suspension on my 79 and updating the brakes as necessary (as money and time allow)

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

The only thing I remember that hindered the change was the emergency brake cable bracket on the trailing arm. Had to cut it off from front side of arm and move it to the top. The track on a disc brake car is slightly wider, 1/2 - 3/4", than drums.

Good luck with the change, it will amaze you.

Paul Deen

Reply to
PDDeen

Oh, you want an emergency brake? Half of them in disc brakes don't work, or at least not enough to ever stop you.

If you have a '64, it is easy. The pulley setup is the same as '65 and '66 on the front half and you need to get the rear cable for the '65 or '66.

For a '63, you have to do some creative changing.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Kickstart, I called VB&P yesterday and they didn't have any conversion kits for the '63. They knew all about the Stainless Steel & Brake Corp. kit though and said that it is an excellent kit because it has great stopping power and is a direct bolt-in. I've placed my order. Thanks to everyone for the great advice and feedback. - StingRay

Reply to
StingRay

I called VB&P yesterday and they didn't have any conversion kits

damn nice of them to recommend and approve of something they don't even sell. Must be OK guys Glad you came out good Kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart