65 GTO Disc Brake Conversion

I am installing spindles and disc brakes on my 65 GTO with manual brakes (donor was a 72 skylark with single piston calipers). Need input. Will this work well without power brake conversion? What type of proportioning valve should I use...and where/how does it get installed? Thanks for any help.

Nat Finsness

Reply to
Finsness

It's been quite a while since I looked into that, but I believe 1972 spindles only properly fit the 1966-72 A-bodies. I know the rear axles have that year difference.

I did the "buy everything" kit from SSB Inc. (through JEGS) on my 1970 GTO several years ago. It came with an adjustable proportioning valve. I installed it on a bracket I made, along the frame under the driver's door. I chose that spot purely for the convenience of adjusting it the first (only) time, and because no one would know it was there unless they looked really hard.

Some of the newer kits have the stock looking combination valve that bolts up at the master cylinder. That's how they are supposed to be. Didn't the donor car have that by the master cylinder? You ABSOLUTELY need the disc brake master cylinder for the car. I left off the power booster on mine. Wanna stop fast? Push realllllly hard. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh