Engine Temperature

I have a 1987 C4 with a new radiator, new water pump, new hoses, new thermostat, aux. fan in front, rebuilt motor and wanted to know what usual temps are expected. In cool weather it will stay around 180 degrees with the outside temps around 70 degrees. When temps are around 85 to 95 degrees temps will be seen from 200 to 225 max. 225 is when you are sitting in traffic with the air conditioner on. As soon as you can get some wind moving it will go back to 205. Some say this is normal for vettes. Any info will be appreciated. ( thermostat is a 180 )

Reply to
Penny Sykes

pretty much how my 88 runs... at 230 the small fan in the front will turn on and cool it 10 degrees.. i've never seen mine go above 230..

troy

Reply to
TroY

Reply to
Billy

Right on..Vettes are designed to run at those temps....critical point is about 250 degrees....230 is fine...Vette is a bottom feeder so when under way temps should drop a bit.....I live in Florida where the daily temp all summer is about 94..no problem with the Vette...if it reaches 230 in traffic the cooling fans kick it right down to about 225..( with the air always on ).

Reply to
Redbull

I would like to also ask is this also the case with the2001 C-5 I just recently bought and have some what the same situation just wondering.

Thanks, JL

Reply to
JL

YES this is normal for Vettes..!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Redbull

Thanks

Reply to
JL

I agree with ya'll. When I first got my 92 C4 coupe 2 years ago...I thought it ran hot....but had it checked out and yes...without the a/c on the fans kick in at 230 deg.

With the a/c on the temps stay around 195 - 205 as the fans nearly run all the time.

I had the water pump replaced at a Chevy dealer ($550, but all parts and labor guaranteed for life at Dominion Chevy, Richmond Va) and now it runs about 192 deg when moving)

~ Vern

Reply to
Vern