Mobil One Synthetic alternative?

Chevy says use Mobil 1 Synthetic in the C5's. Is there something alternative that can be used?

-akak

Reply to
akak01000101

Is there any particular reason that you'd want to use something other than the oil recommended by the manufacturer? Is the climate around Mount Laurel, NJ different than the rest of the country? Just curious. Having said that, you'd probably be safe in using any top-of-the-line brand name synthetic oil.

Reply to
StingRay

They recommend the same for C6's, but also give a GM spec - GM4718M - in the owner's manual and say any oil meeting that spec is acceptable.

-- Vandervecken

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Vandervecken

After the newspaper article last Saturday regarding the low mileage sludging problems Toyota is having--and their ways around the warranty issues, I'd be tempted to stick by the owner's manual.

One practical difference in synthetics is foaming resistance. I think this is probably less critical in the small-block GM engines than in some of the "watchworks" machines out of Japan and Europe but, it's one more variable worth avoiding. ....Paul H.

Reply to
Paul H.

Having been on an Exxon boycott for since the Oil disaster in Alaska back in the 80's, I refuse to use any Exxon products. Now that they own Mobil, I refuse to use their oil products as well.

I speek from personal experience when Exxon came to us to mount piece from the Valdez on plaques to hand out to their employee's. Not to mention they still never cleaned up the mess they created in Alaska.

Reply to
akak01000101

thank you, I will check it out.

-akak

Reply to
akak01000101

Reply to
RicSeyler

There was a pipeline spill outside my street back in the Northridge Earthquake of '93, Arco was out that night cleaning up that mess. Unfortunately I had to drive my Toy 4x4 through the oil. They cut my a check the next day for a complete detail and water blasting to remove any tar. They were great. They stayed 2 weeks making sure the community was happy. They get all my biz.

Anyways... with the GM spec from the previous post I will try Shell or Valvoline. Thanks everyone....

-akak

Reply to
akak01000101

What Texas beach are you talking about?

Reply to
Charlie

Excellent quality synthetic lubricants (probably better than Mobil 1) can be purchased from Royal Purple or Redline. Steve '04 Z16 Commemorative

P.S - Just because a manufacturer "recommends" a certain product doesn't mean its the best. All it usually means is that the financial incentive is stronger.

Reply to
Steve Rader

The first time I ever saw Mobil One synthetic was when a US Air Force flight line mechanic was topping off the oil in a DC-9 at an airbase in Japan - that was in 1972. I figured if it was good enough to handle the demands and heat of a Pratt & Whitney JT8D-9 turbofan it was good enough for use in all four of my C4s. I suspect the same is true of dealing with the "problems" of C5s and C6s....

Since my current C4 has 124,000 trouble free miles on it - and my last one had 86K of the same - in Texas summers - I suspect Mobil One is just fine.

Joel Jacobs

'89 '91 '95 '94

Reply to
Joel Jacobs

My '85 Mustang GT 5.0 HO ran 218,000 miles on synthetics and the day it was totalled the engine was still tight, strong, smooth, and sweet with compression 143 and oil pressure 42 PSI at cruise. My '67 Bug has

208,000 miles on the original engine and it runs like clockwork. Lord only knows how long a modern engine like the LS-2 will run on that stuff. I think any of the synthetics are so good that there's probably relatively little difference between them.

-- Vandervecken

Joel Jacobs wrote:

Reply to
Vandervecken

Reply to
RicSeyler

Can the dealer void your warranty if something goes wrong and you did not use the Mobil 1 they specify?

With all the talk I hear about dealers voiding warranties on cars for mods and stuff, this just seems like it would be another thing for them to jump on you about

Reply to
Bababooey

Your warranty is valid as long as the car is serviced according to Chevrolet's recommendations using products that meet their specifications. Of course that's not to say a flaky dealer won't act flaky anyhow. The salient point is that it's a manufacturer's warranty, not the dealer's warranty. The dealer just executes warranty repairs on behalf of, and under reimbursement by, the manufacturer. In this case he is in effect an agent under contract to the manufacturer to service the manufacturer's contractual obligation to you. Thus the dealer cannot void the warranty since he is not the warrantor. (Although he may refuse to honor it at the risk of arousing GM's ire.)

-- Vandervecken

Bababooey wrote:

Reply to
Vandervecken

Reply to
Bob I

On or about Thu, 19 May 2005 12:18:32 -0500, RicSeyler wrote or did cause to be written:

Hey, Ric. Drive about 40 miles west to my neighborhood and you can see lots of offshore wells. Same sugar white sand. Same emerald green sea. In fact, our sand seems a lot cleaner than your's since Ivan. :)

Again, you don't have to go to Texas, you can just drive a few miles west of where you live and see that your comments are, shall we say, a slight exaggeration? I remember 40 years ago we had lots of tar balls on the beach here. They came from ships pumping out their bilges before docking. If anything, offshore drilling reduces the pressure which reduces the natural seepage. The beaches today are immaculate compared to what they were 40 years ago before the offshore platforms came. Where do you go to fish offshore? If the platforms were releasing all that much trash, why would the fish love them so much?

What financial ties? That would be illegal. A president could get impeached if it was found they had any financial tie to a corporation and that they somehow helped that corporation. No wait. Clinton was convicted while in office of a felony and that wasn't considered a "crime or misdemeanor". Never mind. ;)

So remind me once again; this is the USENET group titled alt..autos.corvette.shrub-bashers? :)

Reply to
Dale

On Sat, 21 May 2005 08:09:32 -0500, Bob I puked:

It does on my LS1 in my SS. There's a sticker right under the hood saying so.

lab~rat

Also a sticker under the hood of my 96 coupe.

Rob

Reply to
Scubabix

Reply to