Revisited: how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intake valve with the intake manifold on?

HI all - I cannot update anything on this topic (perhaps because it is an older thread)

So - just a quick update. As someone (I think Dad) had suggested, the cam was toast. At least 2 lobes were ground down to smithereens.

So - after checking prices, being cheap, and retired with a fixed income, I decided to give it a go myself.

I have the engine out and have replaced the Cam, timing gears, chain, oil pump, and have rebuilt the heads with stiffer spring to go with a mild cam. I am in the process of re-assembly this week.

It will be awhile before it is back together as I have to do some snooping around while the engine is out. I'm learning a lot as I go along.....

The patient (or victim) is a '76 smogger, L-48 SBC.

Reply to
BSAKing

Be very careful with those stiffer springs. Unless you are revving to 6000 rpm, you do not need them and they can be very hard on a new cam. Been there, done that, destroyed my new cam until I put the original springs back when I did the job again.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Well - one would hope they are ok - it is a *very* mild cam and the springs came with it from CompCams. 12-206-2 is their part number on it. This is all a huge learning curve for me....

Reply to
BSAKing

Just a small update - I got it all back together again and it all runs good and sounds good so far. I'll check the oil carefully when I change it for the first time. I'm running the breakin additive the first few changes..

Reply to
BSAKing