Service Engine Soon light C4

I have a slightly loose cowl on top of the radiator (funky little rivet- type connector loose) that sometimes, on startup, jiggles the O2 sensor going into the engine from that point, according to a mechanic. Will this Service Engine light find its way off by itself at some point or will it always stay on until the battery is disconnected?

Reply to
Bob Katts

clear the code by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so. Service Engine light should then go off. if it comes back on ? a problem is not solved..

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

Thanks the reply. It will clear almost immediately, or after only a few seconds of no juice. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this light on and on a restart of the car, say a day later, will have the light clear itself? (even though I realize the code stays in the processor.)

Reply to
Bob Katts

guess ya missed my point. if ya want it to stay off ? clear the code and if there is no other problem. it will stay off.

Reply to
'Key

What does the O2 sensor have to do with the radiator and cowl? The O2 sensor is in the exhaust.

Reply to
larrybud2002

I've been told there is a sensor between the outlet of the air cleaner cowl and the input of that air into the engine.

Reply to
Bob Katts

Hello Bob,

You were told right; there are multiple sensors (hot wire or pressure and temp plus throttle position) in the intake system. They provide data to compute the mass flow of air into the engine and enable major adjustments to fuel injection flow rates and ignition timing.

The "oh-two" sensor isn't one of those in the intake. It looks at oxygen content in the exhaust gas. Its output is used to optimize fuel-air ratio -- making for better gas mileage and fewer "uglies" out the tail pipe.

That's a frequent cause of a Check Engine light -- but, it's easier to read the codes and make an intelligent decision before getting into coveralls and skinning your knuckles -- that's what everyone else is suggesting.

There are five configurations of sensors for C4s -- L98 had two, LT-1 was another, LT-4 slightly different and of course the ZR-1 was all to it's own. When you post a question here, provide the model year and/or engine code. That should enable a more direct answer--possibly with better info right off the line.

HTH.. PJ

Reply to
PJ

Thanks PJ. Much appreciated and informative. I spend my time in computers and networks and therein lies my expertise and not in the "shadetree mechanic" arena. I can only appreciate those that can open the hood and actually know what to look for. I have a mechanic that can do that and I would trade him the IT knowledge for a little mechanical ability. I know enough to get me into trouble with cars and that leads me to know enough to keep my fingers out of the mess before I make it a bigger one. There is really a lot of misinformation about vettes or cars in general and I'm just fishing for some info in order to get rid of some of the noise. The least I can do is to go through the procedures to find what error code is left over and what it is connected with. Beyond that, I'll let someone else work it over. Thanks again.

Reply to
Bob Katts