What is your impression/first hand experience with the 2010 Camaro ?

My sister is very keen on a 2010 V-6 Camaro with 304 h.p. , 6 speed auto trans. If youve researched the 2010 Camaro, whats your opinion ?

Reply to
ilbebauck

A good car and a decent buy IF you can find a dealer who does not GOUGE

Reply to
XiRÿZ

Nice, silky, quiet flexible engine -- my wife has the 280hp (reg gas) version of that engine (VVT-direct injection)in a 2010 LaCrosse CXS. Smooth, nice transition off idle and excellent torque curve. IMNSHO, adopting a 60 degree design was the smartest move GM could have made.

Transmission is quite smooth and accommodates a nice wind-up thru 6K rpm. "Tiptronic" control is quick but smooth. Car is traction limited off the line. WOT from a dead stop breaks the tires loose and triggers the traction control system. (AWD isn't available on the CXS.)

Maintenance costs on the engine look tame -- no timing belt maintenance needed as on comparable power plants from Japan.

Coasting to a stop, there is a very slight throttle-closed powertrain surge/oscillation around 30 mph and 1500 rpm following the 5-4 downshift. Lasts < two seconds. Not annoying but one gets in a habit of noticing it.

Haven't driven the 304 hp engine in a Camaro but have done so in a Cadillac CTS. Impressions are about the same as in the LaCrosse however I think the Caddy may have had AWD since it didn't misbehave off the line.

Don't look for great gas mileage out of this engine. It breathes deeply and asks for a lot of gas to go along with the air. My wife's Lucerne with pushrod 3.8L was about 3-5 mpg better around town or on the road.

Still, the LaCrosse is slightly better than the Lexus 350 for both performance and mileage. ...hth pj

Reply to
pj

does it snow where you live? does she have another car if it does?

of course, she should buy a manual shift.

Reply to
ACAR

SHe lives in Florida with no snow. Forget manual shift for her...automatic only. Its going to be her only car.

Reply to
ilbebauck

Excellent analysis. Thanks. When i rode along for the testdrive , I was amazed at how smooth the transmission shifting was in the automatic. RPMS went way down when going into 6th. One guy with the V6 automatic trans said he saw 30 mpg on a long trip. My 2006 vette gets 28 mpg consistently on the highway , so, we are expecting same or better out of the Camaro V6 . I love the chopped roof look, its stance, and interior . Handling is superb ...in fact the same as my vette . Im hoping its a well engineered car which at this point it looks like it is.

Reply to
ilbebauck

Excellent analysis. Thanks. When i rode along for the testdrive , I was amazed at how smooth the transmission shifting was in the automatic. RPMS went way down when going into 6th. One guy with the V6 automatic trans said he saw 30 mpg on a long trip. My 2006 vette gets 28 mpg consistently on the highway , so, we are expecting same or better out of the Camaro V6 . I love the chopped roof look, its stance, and interior . Handling is superb ...in fact the same as my vette . Im hoping its a well engineered car which at this point it looks like it is.

I suspect that it will "handle" much less than the "same as your Corvette." That, of course, could happen if GM has found a method to make sheet metal stampings perform as well as the suspension of the C5/C6 Corvette. They didn't work out to bad on the Chevette or the Fiero.

I've never been fond of struts or the coil over shock arrangement that they chose to use or the 2 piece drive shaft. Of course uni-bodies have come a long way from the flimsy attempts they made in the past and do offer some improved crash protection over the Vega or the Corvair. Admittedly one of the best cars I owned was a '65 Corvair that I put 140K relatively trouble free miles on in 5 years.

I did get talked into driving an SS that the dealer has had on his lot now for the last 3 months, along with 2 others. $40K list and loaded to the gills, felt good but was just a car, not the feeling of the first and second generation Camaros that I had. For allot less money you can get that LaCrosse and another set of doors with much more comfort.

Reply to
Dad

I was about to buy a new loaded 2SS but the dealers were out to screw for all they could get, so I decided to buy the new manual Grand Spot Corvette instead at a price that was only slightly more than the 2SS would be once I added all I wanted to it.

GM is a great company...it's their DEALERS who are killing it

Reply to
XiRÿZ

ANy idea how much fat the dealers have in the 2010 Camaro by selling it at sticker price ? They all claim theres no dealer incentives, dealer rebates etc, so there is 'little profit in it' . I find it hard to believe personally. Wouldnt be at all surprised to see them making 5 Grand profit minimum on each .

Reply to
ilbebauck

--=AD---------------

I still dont think the 2010 camaro compares with something like a 1969 Z28 or big block but it looks like theyve got it well engineered with a 304 h.p V6 Mill that is plenty fast enough for most drivers. By the way , is it an 'irrational religious belief' for someone to look at all the obvious design evidence as in DNA , the Physics Constants to our cosmos with some at a 120th decimal point critical tolerance, 60 major anatomical systems of our human body, et al.... and conclude there was an intelligent Designer/Engineer behind it all ? Or, can the 2010 LS9 Corvette come about from a natural whirlwind turning into a Supercharger ?

Reply to
ilbebauck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­---------------

Snip

0 I still dont think the 2010 camaro compares with something like a 1969 0 Z28 or big block but it looks like theyve got it well engineered with 0 a 304 h.p V6 Mill that is plenty fast enough for most drivers.

Snip continued effort to be off topic.

What do you have in the way of engineering experience/education that backs up your automotive engineering assessment.

Just for starters, what is a reason that a 2 piece drive shaft is better or as good as a one piece shaft in a torque tube? Have you ever dealt with a faulty mid ship bearing?

Reply to
Dad

Snip

I have to add a bit to this observation.

I went back to the dealer and drove the V6 they had and again it was a good ride but nothing sporty about its handling, note that it was 24° when I made this drive. Even being that cold it was a smooth ride, as in sloppy. My main reason to make a second drive was to see if the rear end would hold on a hard launch better than the now defunct GTO with the 3 year production run. Owing to the cold pavement I figured that the "wheel hop crazy" rear end might be acceptable, not. It jumps all over the road even with keeping the spinning to a controlled minimum. Note that the GTO IRS was tweaked by Pedders which involved moving the shock into the coils spring. Didn't check any of the other geometry to see if had changed but suspect it did. For a 3,800 pound car the launch sucks, it should squat and shoot forward hard instead of jumping up and down and drift sideways.

If I would launch my C6 like that, which I have, seldom does it drift out of the tread width and then only if I were to smoke the tires,

3200 pound car. The Camaro just felt loose from the onset and got worse. Admittedly I only had it up to running temperature and had not driven far enough to have everything warm enough to be at a high output driving condition. The other thing I noticed is the feeling of the drive shaft unwinding like the '63 Pontiac Tempest. Would like to see what they are using for universal joints on the differential and transmission output shaft as they look like the rag joint in the old steering shafts.

The dealer again pointed out the advances in the dash design which to me looks like hanging toys in a crib to keep the driver entertained. See the pretty lights? Give me a break. Here's where you plug in your Ipod, no, I'm not sure that would work for a pacemaker, but we do have a halo on some of our head lights.

Lets face it, this is a dated design from a reskined GTO in hopes of recouping some of their minimal development costs. The GTO was in the show room the same year that the Camaro came to life, 2004. Lets hope they corrected some of its faults and its over priced attempt to soak the user again. That doesn't include the dealer gouging and poor service that you get for a paltry $38,000 Plus all the add ons they can come up with, dealer and governments, and you get a "has been" to be car.

All that brought to you by their commander in chief that was responsible for getting ATT the bottom rating for customer service and now under the watchful eye of government control. What a team.

Skip the Camaro and get a 2006 Corvette for nearly half the price, they only sold for $35,000 new per our web guru on Corvettes.

Reply to
Dad

----=AD=AD---------------

--=AD------------

YOU are the one who brought up the off topic issue of 'religiousity'...so thought youd like an opportunity to expand on it ! Dont put the blame back on me Pops.

Reply to
ilbebauck

----=AD=AD---------------

--=AD------------

As for my assessment ; it is based on personal opinion and experience thus far.

Reply to
ilbebauck

??YOU are the one who brought up the off topic issue of ??'religiousity'...so thought youd like an opportunity to expand on ??it ! Dont put the blame back on me Pops.

You lying sack of excrement, show me the quote I made.......

Your problem is you don't know what truth is so lying is easy for you.

Off topic means a Camaro discussion in a Corvette news group, as far as your other claim I don't deal in that nonsense.

Reply to
Dad

Heres what was part of your post above ; you shouldnt be posting if you dont know what you post ! : 'IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs'.

Reply to
ilbebauck

Snip

So out of all that was posted the one thing you wanted to respond to was low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. I can understand that being a bit sensitive for you to accept.

That signature Dave is what most people would call a joke, not a quote by me, something you should have recognized and moved on. Since you prefer to blow your religious horn as often as you can you picked that one item to avoid even attempting to discuss the engineering on the Camaro.

I would still like to see the flex joint at the differential and the transmission output shaft to see how they are built. Is it a rag joint type of assembly? It could be a rigid joint with the 2 piece axle coupling doing the require flexing. Hard to see how that might work but don't think it would be impossible.

I do apologize for calling you a "lying sack of excrement". There is no sack.

Dad

Read what you post next time so you dont look like a real Fool . And if you dont want to discuss whats attached to your Post, then dont include it ... and dont blame others that bring up what youve decided is cute.. ..that being, arrogant hubris . end.

Reply to
ilbebauck

Snip

Reply to
Dad

YOU LYING PIECE OF SHIT.. Dad didn't say shit about your delisional religious insanity YOU DID, YOU ASSTROLL

Reply to
Ken