01 Caravan 10 MPG any ideas?

My 2001 Dodge Caravan gets 10 per gallon in the city, seemed like it happened over night any ideas? Seems like it runs smooth.

thanks

Reply to
kkdisc

If you were getting 10 mpg in the city you must be stuck in some heavy traffic with the a/c on or the check engine lite is on and you haven't told us because if it were burning that much fuel the monitors would turn on the check engine lite. You may want to recheck your calculations if none of what I said is true.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

it seemed, and about 3 weeks since I noticed, the van does have 90K on it. I have been told to switch 2 oxygen sensors, how much of diff would that make? I would like to take a less expensive shot at it before I switch them, maybe I need an overall tune up, thanks again for the response.

kkdisc

I think with 90,000 miles, the O2 sensors should probably be part of a tuneup. They degrade over time, though I'm not sure whether there's an actual service interval for them. They can make a significant difference in power and fuel economy.

You probably have an O2 sensor on an exhaust manifold and another after the catalytic converter. You may even have one on each exhaust manifold *and* one after the cat.

Hopefully you can get to them fairly easily, so that you could just buy them and screw them in yourself.

Reply to
Marcus

thanks I will give it a try

kkdisc