1988 Dodge Aries Transmission

So the transmission on my 88 Aries is finally slipping on 2-3 shifts after 200,000 miles of gentle driving and maybe 5,000 miles of bad driving.

My 19 year old daughter loves the car and the paint job is developing a nice bit of desert burn to the roof. I'm trying to find someone in the greater Orange County, LA area who would rebuild the tranny for say $1,000 if I don't care how long it takes.

The engine only has 30,000 miles on it since a full rebuild and it runs great. Otherwise I'd retire it.

This is my utility car so I am not in a big hurry though at times the Miata does get a bit hard to get groceries with. Yeah, yeah I know. A Miata but when you are offered an 02 Miata in 05 with 30K on it for $8,000 wouldn't you swallow hard and buy it too?

Anyway, anyone know how to rebuild older Mopar automatics in Socal?

Or maybe call some people in Hollywood and have it die in a blaze of glory in some TV cop show chase??

Dan snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Reply to
Dan Fraser

Get it fixed. you know its faults, it would be expensive to replace.

Reply to
George Jaynes

you can finda transmision for about 200 used, and have it installed for

500even cheaper.

use,

or ebay. good luck. George Jaynes wrote:

#000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Reply to
uccoskun

Up here they are getting harder to get - and 4 speeds are WAY more than $200 for a good one, if you can find one. The three speeds are also getting few and far between - and when available are generally

350 or more.

clare at snyder.on.ca

I moved to riverside CA from Urbana, IL. last april. I learnt what you mean by experience.

When I was in illinois, I bought a 4 speed (3.0L) transmision (with

55kmiles) for $75. and paid $50 for the junkyard guy to take it out and put it in my trunk. I put it in myself after changing seals, and filter/gasket. Total cost was 200. I decided to put it in myself because I thougth a quote of $350 to take my old transmision out and put the new one in is too expensive. ;)

Here, junkyards asked $25 for a taillight of Chevy Astro, and 55 dolarrs for AC compressor. I hoped to pay $5 for taillight and $15 for compressor (illinois prices). I will swallow this costs next summer i guess, when i'm ready.

good luck.

clare wrote:

be

Reply to