2000 Stratus A/C not cool

Recieved car after my father died in 2004 with 30k. A/C cooled ok for the first summer, but I really didn't drive it much, so I'm not sure if it was better then (2nd car). Last summer a/c was poor, checked
pressures and they were ok both high and low. Took a shot at replacing the evap temp probe, but no joy. Air from main vents is approx. 80 degrees when @ idle, doors shut and recycle on @ 95 degrees ambient (and will slowly creep up if you continue to sit and don't drive). Blew compressed air up the evap. pan drain, but it seemed to be ok, and does drip water.
When driving in early am when ambient is cool (68 or so), it will blow down to approx. 40 degrees.
Took it to the car wash and washed out the condensor. Fans seem to cycle ok. No change.
So, are these cars known for poor a/c performance? Any ideas on where to go next? Oklahoma is hot!
Thanks in advance!
/john

Sounds to me like a low charge condition. how did you check the pressure and what were the pressure on the gauges and what was the outside temperature.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Thanks for your reply. Pressures were checked at a shop... I don't recall the exact numbers, but they were something like 30-40 low, 200-225 high.. ambient about 92.. but again, it was last year. The tech that helped me indicated that it looked perfectly normal to him. And it blew pretty warm...
I can easily recheck the pressures to be sure.. can you think of anything else?
Thanks!
/john
maxpower wrote:

if
and
temperature.
blow
If you feel the low side hose when the a/c is on it should feel cold with those pressures. Does it? if it is and there is still no cold air you must have a blend air door out of adjustment or something else with the cable..
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
maxpower wrote:

No, it really doesn't feel cold at all (i thought the same thing...) is the car's system one where the heater core is always circulating hot water, and a blend door is used to mange the temps? Or is the only blend door the fresh air door on the passenger side (which seems to be operating OK)? Should I be expecting temps on a properly running system to be in the mid 50's in the vent, given an ambient of 95 to 100?
And since you are being so helpful (thanks again!), I'd like to ask what your estimate is on replacing the oil pan on the car (a 4cyl 2.4).. looks pretty simple from underneath, nothing in the way directly. Local dealers are all over the place on labor pricing (from 1.5 to 3.0 hrs.). I'm thinking it looks easy enough to tackle myself, as long as I don't have to remove suspension members, etc. Would be doing it jacked up on the garage floor (my friend sold his shop, so no more free lift :-( )
/john

for
sure
degrees
pressure
where
with
must
cable..
Recover and recharge the system. I haven't had to replace an oil pan in a long time on that engine. It isn't that hard and the labor would be about 1.5
maxpower wrote:

Thanks again! /john