2010 Civic EX: A/C temp control adding heat to air

I've got a 2010 Civic EX.

When I start the car and turn on the A/C with the temperature control set to coldest temperature setting, I notice that the air coming from the vents still isn't cool enough.

But if I then turn the temperature control up to the hottest setting and then back to the coldest setting, maybe cycle that a couple times back and forth, it seems to "trick" the system into producing the coldest air again.

Any idea what could be causing this?

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.

2010 Civic ? Under warantee ?
Reply to
Clete

It may well be, But I would still like to know what the problem might be, so that I can tell if the dealer's repair shop is fixing it properly.

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.

It may well be, But I would still like to know what the problem might be, so that I can tell if the dealer's repair shop is fixing it properly.

-- Steven L.

-----

You think they will actually listen?

Reply to
Stewart

Actually, you want to avoid the usual dealer finding -- cannot duplicate the problem. That changes once the warranty has expired.

It may well be, But I would still like to know what the problem might be, so that I can tell if the dealer's repair shop is fixing it properly.

-- Steven L.

-----

You think they will actually listen?

Reply to
tww1491

If you aren't sure if it's still in warranty, you may have bigger issues.

Reply to
MG

Thus spake "tww1491" :

Take it to the dealer. CDP? Take it to an independent and ask for an estimate. Take it to the dealer. CDP? Take it to another shop for another estimate. Dealer. CDP? Lemon law.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "Steven L." :

a) have you just tried waiting a bit? If you're using re-circ, the air it's taking in to cool will still be hot, maybe even hotter than outside. b) how hot is the outside temperture. The A/C can only cool so many degrees below either the intake or the ambient. The shop manual should have those numbers. It's usually like 10-12 degrees F below interior (assumes re-circ) or about 15-18 below ambient. This is due to the magic of entropy and the ability of your heat engine (A/C compressor/condensor) to shed heat.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

I've noticed this even on mild days. And even after having the A/C on for 20 minutes. But after those 20 minutes, if I do this trick of cycling the dashboard temp control to hot and then to cold once or twice, the A/C air gets definitely colder. Somewhere I imagine that a little bit of hot air is being mixed with the cold air, and that cycling the temp control shuts off all the hot air.

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.