2001 dodge stratus heating problem

As long as I'm driving my 2001 Dodge Stratus I have plenty of heat... When I stop and idle at a light or stop sign I get cold air blowing through the vents. If I put it in neutral or park and gently step on the gas I get heat again...when I release the gas pedal i get cold air again...Of course when I take off...I get plenty of heat. It's only at idle speed that the heater blows cold air....Help! Never had that problem with any car before..

Reply to
corky42

That's because your coolant is low, when is the last time you check it? BTW what engine?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I will check that right away and let you know. I always assume the guy does that when he changes the oil but i guess it pays to double-check. The enginge is a 2.7 6cy. Thanks for the reply (I'm a Chrysler Retiree)

Reply to
corky42

To "maxpower" I added more coolant last night as you suggested...Problem solved! I now have heat at idle speed..Thanks a bunch!!!

Reply to
corky42

TO CORKY!! the problem is not solved until you find the leak!!! take a good look at the inlet connection at the top of the engine where the radiator hose goes into the engine and see if there is build up with red coolant crud, if so replace the connector

Reply to
maxpower

You're right....it makes sense that there's a leak somewhere..so far I haven't found it. I looked where you suggested but it's all clean there....still looking..thanks!

Reply to
corky42