2002 caravan - airbag light

2002 grand caravan sport.... I am getting an airbag light on the dash every few days or so...Is there anything that commonly goes with this system that causes problems? I am unfamiliar with the whole airbag thing as most of my previous cars didn't have any. I do know that they can cost a bundle to fix!

BD

Reply to
Boondocks

The airbag light generally should light up for a few seconds on startup, then go away. If it stays on, then there's a problem.

Common issues are bad connections to the crash sensors. If there's a short or corroded connection to these sensors and you can find and fix it, then you may ahve solved your problems. You might want to get a service manual for 02 Grand caravan and look up the location of the crash sensors.

If the connections all look good, then the other likely problem is with the bag deployment system itself reporting that something is wrong. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you generally don't want to mess with the pyrotechnics and components involved here; best take it to a dealer or mechanic that knows a thing or two about airbag systems.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

I have a 99 and it was subject to recall. Turns out the clockspring assy. is bad and needs to be fixed. But on the notice from Chrysler they said it was just 98 to 2000 model years??

I would ask the dealer about it. If you want I'll scan the letter from Daimler-Chrysler and I could email it to you so you can see for yourself. It goes into more detail about the problem. Let me know whats up

Hope this helps

Reply to
honk_on_bobo

I'll check with the dealer... I have my doubts. I will let you know what I find out.

Reply to
Boondocks