2003 Grand Caravan Power Steering Groan

This vehicle has 66k miles on it.

When turning the steering wheel right or left there is a groaning sound similar to some other minivans I've heard over the years.

I am speculating this may be due to a dirty power steering filter, non-OEM power steering fluid, or a bad PS pump.

Due to the fact that this vehicle is three years old, I am surprised to hear this noise.

Can any kind soul out there give me a pointer on what might be causing this?

Dave H.

Reply to
hierge

The first thing to check is the fluid level, if it is low it will cause noises, then if it is low look for the leak. If everything looks ok a good P/S flush may take care of the problem.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks Glenn,

Will do on the fluid level and PS flush! I'll let you know how it turns out.

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
hierge

Dave I have a 2003 Grand Caravan with 75k and I have been experiancing the same groan. I brought my Van in to the dealer and explaned the problem. I was getting a groanning when the vehicle was down shifting and coming to a stop and a groaning back on aceleration plus when turning from a stand still. I had originally thought that it might be a transmission propblem. The dealership assured me it was the STEERING PUMP and qouted me a $600 dollar to repair (noting the the van was no longer under warranty.)

I told them that I was not prepared to pay $600.00 for the repair bill so the charge me $75 for the diagnostic . I brought the van to my mechanic to asked him to replace my steering pump. They purchased the pump from the same Chrysler dealership so it was a orignal Mopar part (Noone makes an aftermarket yet) for $350 .I had this work done. My mechanic showed me the replaced parts . I drove the van Home. The next morning it was cold out and the van still made the same groan! ' I brought the Van back to my mechanic that morning and it was not making the noise anymore. However it has done it since .

How did you make out.

Reply to
Moose

And did you have the recall done on the power steering hoses? There is a recall for 2003 to have the power steering hose rerouted. I had the same symptoms but waited forever to get it done. There was also a TSB they performed also, I believe it had to do with a new power steering cooler. Those two things solved my problem, but that was a month before my warranty ran out. The recall would be free for you still, but you would probably have to pay for the TSB for the Cooler, and I believe, it was relocated, and installed lengthened hose.

Reply to
hartless

Maybe it was the tsb that fixed it. I know they did both. And the Service advisor phoned me after they brought the van in saying that the pump was blown too. Then I picked it up the next day and all they did was the recall, and a TSB with the power steering cooler. Fixed the moaning and groaning, and shimmy in steering wheel.

Reply to
hartless