Power steering pump - Feasible rebuild?

Power steering pump on the 110 (1990 TD) is on it's way out, groaning under normal turning conditions making noises you'd expect to hear on full lock kind of thing. It's also developed a leak. I see some seals are available and guess the bearings would need replacement. New pumps aren't exactly cheap but is a self rebuild feasible or do I need bearing presses and such like which would make it not economically viable.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

I would just one from abreakers yard matey, sounds like hard work. You'll be glad to hear Morph is now rattle free, it was the dizzy, it was fooked!! He's acracking workjbench/mobile shed too!! I'm rebuilding my shed for my bikes etc & he's storing all my shed shit!!

He also carried half a ton of wood too!!

I have to get this shed built right quick, I have the Hayabusa in the conservatory & the BMW in next doors garage!!

Reply to
Nige

There you go, you can't sell such a useful beast now can you ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yeah, once cleaned out again take Jane shopping in him, She'll be amazed at how much shopping she can get in :-)

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Those groaning noises are usually when it's short of fluid, obviously because of the leak. If it's not leaking badly try filling the reservoir and bleeding the box on full lock either side. Still no joy your man at Wainstalls who repairs the gearboxes also rebuilds steering boxes and warranties them.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Blimey, I was going to suggest he does all his bike fixing from the back of Morph so he can take it to bike tracks or something, but I thought that might burn money too fast. I think you out-did me there!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Despite the leak there is still pleanty in the reservoir. Do Wainstalls do Pumps? It't the pump thats leaking not the box, though theres nowt to say the box isn't shot and the pumps ok other than the leak, sadly only one way to find out I guess.

I can't see the point in bleeding it yet till the leak is sorted as leaving it is going to be self defeating.. when they go big time do they go like a waterpump and result in total loss of fluid and power steering?

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Could do. If you have one of the small plastic reservoirs check that the hole in the side of the cap is not blocked, on 300 Tdi pumps pressure build up as the oil gets warm blows the pump case gasket out and oil starts pissing from the pump casing, very little pressure does this. Once blown, all the oil just runs out due to gravity. If you have a similar pump it might be this or maybe just a loose clip on the feed pipe.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:27:33 -0000, "Dr_D" enlightened us thusly:

IME, they almost all groan and it doesn't seem to stop them working.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have to let her have her own way at the minute, this is why -

LOL!!

Reply to
Nige

Hmm, yes, I see the problem. Once you move the guitar though, all should be well. :)

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

hehehheehe -i can't play the f***er anyhow!

Reply to
Nige

In message , Dr_D writes

Mine did just that around 6 months ago, pissed all its fluid out in 1/2 a mile when it went. I replaced it as from what I've heard rebuilding's not really worth the effort as the shaft's usually grooved and will cause failure again fairly quickly unless replaced. Full recon unit with warranty wasn't too expensive (around £100 IIRC) and saved a fair amount of effort rebuilding the existing one. The old pipes were a bitch to get off though :-(

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

Wainstalls is the place, Beaumont is the name, rebuilds gearboxes also. Sorry.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

In Denholme, loads of folk swear by them.

Reply to
Nige

Will Wilkinson uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Right, it's got to be done no two ways about it. This week is MOT week so I'm bracing myself. Not the sort of thing you can leave to chance really given the milages we tow when we go.

HBOL says forget a rebuild... but thats nothing new.

Lee D

Reply to
Dr_D

If its the same then ive got the power steering stuff off a RR classic in the shed. Its earmarked for project '101 power steering' but that probably wont happen too soon, so if you need one asap you can have it and either replace with a similar second hand unit later or give it back once you get yours rebuilt.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Nah. use a Sherpa box.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I dont have one of those though!

is it easier with a sherpa box?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes. AIUI the rangy box ends up upside down, and there's a fair amount of outrigger removal needed. Come over and see mine when the weather improves. I didn't do mine, but there are pictures on the web. The Sherpa's are also pretty cheap.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor