86 accord no low beams no front windshield wash

I just bought a 1986 Accord. The low beams don't work but the high beams do. All signals, running lights and brake lights work fine. We checked the fuses and they are ok. Also the rear windshield washer works but not the front. The wipers work on both front and back.

I'm thinking the problem might be in the steering column where the switches are, because that is the common denominator between the two problems. It could, however be totally unrelated as well.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Tania

Just got the windshield washer problem fixed... dirty contacts. So now we're down to the headlighs if anyone has a suggestion. Thanks.

Reply to
Tania

Thanks, Zed, for your reply... The fuses are fine ... but the guy who owned it before me said sometimes the headlights would turn off while he was driving and then he'd just have to turn them off and then on again. It does sound like a short though... So when we're talking wiring harness am I looking near the headlights? Or further down the line?

Reply to
Tania

Did you check the wiring harness to the headlights? That's the problem I had with my '86 Accord. The low beams would work but when I turned on the high beams the fuse would blow.

Reply to
Zed

It wouldn't be a short, because that would blow the fuse.

I'd say dirty switch contacts would be a good guess...

Reply to
Matt Ion