90 Dynasty info needed

There is a 90 Dynasty for sale by owner near my house. I am asking about it for someone else--I am not interested in it. It is very clean for the age, with about 110k mi. V6 automatic. The asking price is $1000. Are there any inherant problems with these cars, or anything to be wary of. Any such info will be greatly appreciated, before I even look at any closer. Thanks Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

i can't think of anything beyond the usual chrysler/dodge worn-out-car issues.. i had an '89 dynasty 3.0L.. it clacked a little, burned a little oil, had the cv joints done, fuel pump went on it, a broken vacuum line

*those really stupid brittle-as-spaghetti ones*, some rust... and it had 440,000km (274,000 mi)

it had no unique problems like my current '88 new yorker. just today it started revving, in park, to like 6400 rpm. maxed out. going nowhere fast. shifting to drive... it would idle down, then start accelerating on its own. drove it home, stopped, put it into park, and then it revved up again, but idled right back down and has been normal since. it hasn't stalled at stopping since i changed that DSS though.

but it as well needs the usual.. cv joints, struts, could use some tires, ect.. it also needs an A/C compressor.

just my $0.02

Reply to
ArchTaib

"started revving, in park, to like 6400 rpm. maxed out. going nowhere fast. shifting to drive... "

Well now we know why you need the c/v joints....lol

Reply to
noname

hahah yeah.. no kidding eh..

it did that for about 10 minutes.. maybe. so shifting from park to dive and back, twice, and hasn't done it since. happiest thing in my life so far has been no error codes flashing at me from the dash.

Reply to
ArchTaib

My main concern would be how much life the transmission has left in it. Not too worried about the engine but the transaxle is very expensive to rebuild/replace (more than the car's worth). Don't know if it's a 3 speed automatic or a 604, which have been upgraded many times since '90, I'd ask a knowledgeable transmission man his thoughts on it. In any case, I guess I'd expect to get the thing bought for less than $1000.

Reply to
James Goforth