96 Gr. Caravan Stalling

I have come here before and gotten some good advice, and once I need some advice. I own a 96 Grand Caravan (3.8 engine) that has been stalling on me when I am at a stop. It is totally random, and without warning. Background information...... back in November van died and had it towed home. Hubby did some diagnostic on it and thought "for sure" it was the ignition coil. Installed it, van still wouldn't start. Did some more diagnosing, was adament that it was the PCM (which was "rebuilt" the year prior). Went to the dealership and bought a new one (Hubby said he felt better if we just got a new one instead or rebuilding again). Installed new PCM, van started. Dealership said we had to have the new PCM programnmed, so we drove the van to the dealership. Dealership called a few hours later and informed us that the van would not start for them. Ok'ed the work order for a diagnostic. Diagnostic said we had a blown fuse for the fuel filter. Dealership repaired and replaced the fuse. Within 10 days of getting the van back it died and would not start. Had the van towed to the dealership. They continued with their diagnosis since the original problem was not fixed. Got a call and was told that my fuel filter completely died and they could not continue with the diagnosing. They also recommended I replace the filter at the same time. Bought the parts from another store and had the dealership install them (was cheaper that way). They finished the diagnosing and found nothing more wrong. That was three weeks ago. Since getting the van back it has stalled while waiting for a light to turn green, and once stalled just as I came to a stop at a stop sign. It has stalled about 6 times so far, and I am wondering if the stalling could have anything to do with the fuel pump/ filter or maybe even the PCM? Hubby mentioned it may be an idle problem, which is controlled by the PCM. I love my Hubby, but but he has already misdiagnosed my van twice which has been costly. I am afraid to take it back to the dealership and be charged for another diagnostic. :-( Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
My4Heathens

take a look at the crankshaft or camshaft positioning sensor the one near the distributor coil. I have a 96 grand caravan and it was stalling at any given time and when I changed the sensor near the coil pack it never stalled again. I am not saying that that is yor problem bt yo should also look there.

My4Heathens wrote:

Reply to
pchotspot

My 1992 Caravan with 3.0 liter engine had varnish buildup in the throttle body that caused it to stall while waiting at a stop light.

Reply to
Don in San Antonio