my 1996 grand caravan

i have a 1996 grand caravan, the problem is that sometimes my a/c blower works and other times it will not. the rear blower still will work . is this a short behide the switches or what? is there a problem with this on all the 1996 vans or what?

thanks thehawk93

Reply to
thehawk93

Could be anything!!! you would have to check it when it stop working, If this vehicle has high mileage it could be the brushes worn out. the next time it cuts off try hitting on the blower motor to see if it starts again. (under the glove box) Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Given it is a 96 the problem is likely a worn-out blower motor. But there are a few other possible causes. They are: blower relay - not likely; resister pack for speed control - not likely but they do go bad and usually burn up the connector as well. Switch on the dash - again not likely. Leaving the blower.

Checking the blower. Pull the glove compartment door off so you can see stuff easy. It snaps in place on the bottom and the side strands that stop it from falling are simple to disconnect.

You'll see the wires going into the bottom of the blower housing and there is a connector. Use a 12v test lamp or volt meter to see if you have 12v when it is turned on. I like the test light with a needle end and a ground wire so you can poke it through the insulation. If you have 12 volts it is highly likely to be the blower motor unless the ground is intermittent. Very unlikely.

You can remove the blower from the bottom. 3 screws as I recall.

when you get it down you'll notice it does not turn easily. That's the problem!

The blower is a friction fit to the motor.

The motor is made not to be repaired but only replaced. If you have a vice, hammer, and metal chisel you can pop it open.

It uses permanent magnets for the field and a standard armature and brushes. It will be a mess inside. Once you get it apart inspect the brushes. If they have plenty of length left and the wire connections are OK then clean it all up. Us several drops of oil on the bushings. (I use 100% synthetic for most motor bushings, Mobil-1 30w) They are porous (really!) so get oil all around them but not on the copper armature contacts. When the motor is together use the hammer and chisel to wedge/crimp it so it won't come apart.

Put it all together and test it by hooking to the connector before installing back in the housing. You may get lucky. Or just buy a new one. Recommended if you are not handy.

For what it is worth I did this last month on my 97 and 2 years back replaced the resistor pack and connector. The blower works great now.

Reply to
bobQ