NTB for alignment....casters....

Brought my 98 dodge dakota pickup into NTB for new tires and alignment (the latter costs $70). I read over the printout afterwards and notice that only the toes and cambers (front tires) were adjusted or changed.....I asked why the casters were not adjusted, even though they

are out of the proper range (according to printout), and the front desk

guy said he didn't think they could be adjusted (I didn't talk to the alignment guy because the place was closing that night....I'll probably

go back...but first I want to become a little informed before doing that). Drove the truck home and it handles quite well, but ...... still think they were probably just cutting corners (?). I do remember the same thing happening about 5 years ago...NTB said something to the effect that "not good to adjust the casters....can throw off the toe" (or something vaguely similar to that). p.s. Left caster is 4.9 but the correct range is: 2.5 to 3.5 RIGHT caster: same as above

Actually, i don't know if they did a good job with the camber and toe, because they certainly didn't move the numbers anywhere into the CENTER

of the correct ranges, although they did put everything into the correct ranges (but on the "edges" of the range, in some cases, if you know what I mean).

Reply to
dakotacaster

Caster is the forward or rearward tilt of the steering knuckle from vertical. Tilting the top of the knuckle forward provides negative caster. Tilting the top of the knuckle rearward provides positive caster. Positive caster promotes directional stability. This angle enables the front wheels to return to a straight ahead position after turns. If you were to have to much Neg caster the steering would not want to return to the center position after a turn. If to much positive caster it may wander alot. Caster will not cause a tire wear problem but could cause a pull. some vehicles have a tendancy to pull with the road crown and we will change the caster setting more negative on the right tire and more positve on the left to prevent this. Anyway to answer your question....caster/camber and toe are adjustable on your Dakota. I dont know where you got those specs from but they are wrong. And depending on what wheel base you have and if it is a 4X4 would determine the proper settings.

"but the correct range is: 2.5 to 3.5" Not true!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks much. Those are exactly the numbers on the printout they gave me, for "specifed range" for left and right casters, "98 dakota 4x2 regular cab, short bed". However, I just realized they did it for a "regular cab", but I have a "club cab"....that shouldn't matter though, should it? Anyway, assuming that doesn't matter, I guess there machine is wrong with those "correct" ("specified) ranges ???

Reply to
dakotacaster