oil pressure switch

1999 Dodge Neon sohc 30400 mi I have Chiltons and Haynes manuals. Chilton simply has a drawing of the oil pressure switch but no location and Haynes barely even mentions it. Where is it located on the engine? The oil light comes on if idling for more than a few seconds. This happens sporadically. No problem when driving. I am going for the easy fix first. Hopefully the switch is oversensitive. I may even add a gauge to replace the idiot light.
Reply to
netnews

It looks like it's located on the backside of the engine block near where the engine & transaxle join. (see scan). It would be a good idea to put on a mechanical pressure gauge, or at least check the engine oil pressure (fully warmed up) with a mechanic's test pressure gauge. Harbor Freight sells one cheap that works well for testing oil pressure.

Steve

Thanks. I'll take that advice.

Reply to
netnews

the oil pressure switch is just under the exaust manifold on the drivers side by the trans

Reply to
truckdriver

Thanks. Found it. Changed it. Problem solved. The switch had oil leaking out of the plug end. Why did they have to lock the connector from the bottom? Had to crawl under to get to that clip. Then got the switch out from the top. Was easy to put the clip in from the top but kind of a bear to get it out even from underneath. Thanks to all who helped.

Reply to
netnews

That's why we call 'em "oil pisser switches" in the trade.

Reply to
clare