240 - oil pressure switch?

Hi all,

Does anybody know the approximate pressure the oil pressure switch activates in the 240's? (i.e. what does the oil pressure have to be to extinguish the light?)

I'm sorry this is a rather silly question, but I don't have my technical manual with me.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Balfour

It could be around 10PSI it only turns the light off as an indication of some oil pressure but not full oil pressure. Basically it just lets you know the pump is working and you have some oil. I may be wrong but the above is true for most vehicles.

Reply to
Dex

Hmm, do you think they're generic? The reason I ask is that I'm fitting an oil pressure gauge to the 240 (for interest really) and there is a selection of senders for the gauge I have. The differences of the senders are the pressure at which the switch activates at (it's a three terminal thing - ground, gauge out (variable) and warning light). I know it's not _that_ important I connect the light if I have a gauge, but it would finish the job off nicely!

So any advances on 10psi?

Reply to
David Balfour

Why don't you just get a sender from a Volvo in a junkyard or order a new one online? If it's an aftermarket guage then yeah, 10-15 psi should be fine for the oil light switch, red on the stock guage is below 1bar which is about 15 psi, I think the light turns on at the same point.

Reply to
James Sweet

According to my 240 manual the engine creates 10PSI per every 1000RPM therefore at idle the pump would be generating 8-10PSI. If the switch were set higher the light would not indicate any oil pressure at idle. Since the light turns off quite quickly, its pressure threshold may be even lower, say

5PSI. I believe oil pressure switch thresholds are generic but the gauges aren't.

cheers

Reply to
Dex