Oil Pressure Fluctuation

I have a 1994 Cherokee 4.0 l which the dash oile pressure gauge seems to fluctuate. I have checked the oil and that is at the right level . I get the oil changed every 10,000 k and there is still 2,000 to go till the next change . what do you guys think could be wrong ?.The oil pump need work ?. Thanks in advance Neil in NZ

Reply to
Neil Currey

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I take it that it is time for an oil and filter change then Bill.

Reply to
Neil Currey

What do you mean it fluctuates? The oil pressure will go up and down in step with the engine rpms which is normal. If that's not it, maybe you just have a defective oil pressure sender which is mounted just above the oil filter.

Jerry

Neil Currey wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The oil pressure senders on the 4.0L's are notorious for failing. Hook up a mechanical gauge to the oil sender port to check if you have adequate pressure. Or just get a new sender (not the switch, that's for the non-gauge idiot light version) and install it, see if it helps...they aren't expensive.

How is it fluctuating? Does it jump down to 0 or up to Max? If it jumps up, the sender is shorting to ground. I had a 93 XJ with this problem, replaced the sender, no more jumpy gauge.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo
10000 k= about 6200 miles...yikes...
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

That's the recommended change interval, for most modern gasoline engine vehicles, for "normal" operating conditions. "Three months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first" is not necessary unless you want to make oil companies rich. Also, people in the rest of the world pay a bit more for petroleum products than we do.

Now if you play in sand, like Bill does, or take frequent short trips in cold weather or race then you would want to consider a shorter change interval. And if you are considering going to 10,000 k, like the rest of the world does, then use high quality oil and a decent filter. I like a Mobil 1 filter, Valvoline 10W30 petroleum based oil, and oil changes once a year whether needed or not. (I have four vehicles and rarely get 10,000 k on any of them before an oil change.)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My gauge is doing just that . I will change it out when iI get the oil changed tomorrow .

10,000 k oil change is the recommened period here , I have them done even if I I haven't done that .

Neil in NZ

Reply to
Neil Currey