Replace an automatic transmission myself?

My '92 Shadow's 3-speed auto transmission has just self-destructed again.

This transmission has been rebuilt twice before. This last time it lasted a hair under 2 years and about 20,000 miles.

Given a certain amount of common sense and tools, how practical would it be for me to just buy a remanufactured replacement and install it myself?

I have 170k miles on the car, it looks good (yes, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder) and is otherwise in good shape.

Suggestions?

TIA Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

find one in the junk yard for about 300.00

Reply to
robs440

Good luck. Up here they go for at least $500. As for installing it yourself - do you have something to hold the engine in place while you remove the mounts from under it, and hold everything while you remove the trans? If not, it is NOT a do-it-yourself project. (unless you want to drop the engine and trans, complete with crossmember out the bottom, change the trans, and put the whole shooting match back in.

I do a LOT of my own work (ex mechanic) but when it was time to replace the trans on my FWD New Yorker I farmed it out. Same with my Pontiac Trans Sport.

Life isn't long enough to do that job on my back if I don't have to.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

yeah I forgot one of my best friends is a dodge nut with a junk yard so 300 is my price.........sorry

specific..." -

Reply to
robs440

Well, I guess that idea is shot...

Thanks for saving me some grief. Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Only getting 20K out of a rebuild??

Are you putting in Plus 3 fluid or Dexron? I have seen a lot of Dodge trannies die early because a quick lube place put in the wrong fluid. Even may transmission shops are under the delusion that Plus 3 conversion fluid works to convert Dexron to Plus 3. I can say from experience it indeed does not.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Fraser

I have no idea what fluid was used, but you can bet I'll ask whoever I get to do the next one!

Thanks Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson