Peugeot 406 trade-in value

Hi All,

I'm thinking of trading-in my Pug for a Focus, but I don't know if I am getting shafted or not over the trade-in offered.

The car is a 2002 406 Rapier 1966 HDI 90BHP model, 67570 miles, FSH, good condition, mot due in Jan '08, and I am being offered £2000 trade-in.

Is this reasonable for this age and mileage?

TIA,

Neil.

Reply to
Springy

Why trade it in? better to know the car you got than get more trouble from another one. i think you could get more for it if you tryed.A Ford Focus, what a let down more trouble than they are worth.

Reply to
Chrs

Because my 406 is six years old, is due for a 72k timing belt change, and newsgroups like this have scared me away from keeping the car any longer, with talk of expensive fuel pump, water pump, turbo failures etc. Besides, if I get a 6 month-old Focus I am also buying 2.5 year's manufacturer's warranty. With the stories I have heard in here I cannot see why you should think that Focuses are more trouble than they're worth. I admit that I will be sorry to see the car go, but it has to go sometime.

Neil.

Reply to
Springy

As the owner of a 1998 406 with 130K on the clock and no serious problems so far I have to disagree. The timing belt change cost me about £140 IIRC and, if your car is due one, then a purchaser with some knowledge will offer you a bit less knowing that it has to be done.

Reply to
Malc

Nice answer. I am slowly coming around to treating my 406 to a good valet and keeping it going. I do < 10k p.a. and at that rate it should last me another 6 years, according to your mileage. As I said earlier, I would be sorry to see it go.

Neil.

Reply to
Springy

Yep it's the first thing looked for in the service book apart from the fact that it has actualy been serviced. I've just clocked over the 100K in my 2000 HDi90 which (touch wood) hasn't suffered any major problems. I think you find the horror stories don't neccesserily reflect the average user's experiences, but they do stick in the mind. Having said all that, I think they're having a laugh at a £2K trade in on a new(ish) focus (imo).. at that rate mine's worth about ten bob. Check the guides for trade in price there's one on the net somewhere isn't there?

Djimbo

Reply to
djimbo

Ta djimbo, another one adding positives to why I should not change.

Neil.

Reply to
Springy

There is always a problem with assessing a cars reliability when reading news groups, Pug owners tend only to ask advice about problems when they happen, the satisfied owners seldom come on to the news group at all, of which I am one. I have had my 406 for 3 years and have never had any problems at all. I am not able to give statistics on the car, but I would think that the percentage of problems is very small, when you think about the 1000's of Pugs on the road, and talk to Pug drivers, they are normally very satisfied with the car, I most certainly am, it's reliable, certainly not thirsty ( Av 44 mpg ), and for a diesel very sporty.

Bryan

Reply to
Zoab

Very true.

I've had my 1998 petrol one for just about 18 months now. No problems despite it having done 130k miles. I had the cam belt changed as a precaution when I got it and I had to replace the front disks 6 months ago. It's not particularly economical, 33mpg at motorway speeds, but it's very comfortable, it's an estate so there's bags of room and it's got climate control which works well. If I have one quibble it is only that it could do with a CD radio instead of a tape unit.

Reply to
Malc

My 1999 petrol 1.8 has just turned over 145k with no major problems. Timing belt was done again at about 140k - probably later than recommended, but there we go.

Strongly recommend keeping yours - why bother going for the familiarisation of a new car unless you have to? Better the devil, as they say.

John

Reply to
John Duffey

Back in March I traded in a 11/2003 406 110 hdi SE which had done 70k. It was in good nick apart from a few dings and a dent in the bonnet. The garage offered 3.5K which I bargained to 4k. This was against a 407 coupe hdi GT so the garage had some areas to play with in the financing.

In some ways I wished I hadn't changed so I've been and bought a 01/04 hdi

90 406 estate S model.
Reply to
%%stu%%