Where is milage stored?`

Can anybody tell me where the milage on my 2001 caravan is stored? I may have to replace the gauge cluster am wondering if the milage is stored in the computer or in the gauge cluster itself.

Thank You

Brian

Reply to
brian.golding

I think it's stored in more than one place, so replacing any one module where it's stored won't alter the recorded mileage. The replaced module gets updated by the other modules. One of the Chrysler techs in this group can probably give you more details.

What's wrong with your instrument cluster?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thanks for the reply!

The problem with it is the Glass/Plastic is cracked. How it happened I am not sure but it split up from the bottom up about 4 inchs or so.

Reply to
brian.golding

The mileage is stored in the Body control module. it get sent to the PCM. If you ever have to replace the BCM Chrysler will burn the mileage in the module. The mileage in the PCM can be changed with the scan tool but will not change the actual cluster reading. By the way I think you may be able to get the lens separate, have you checked the dealer?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I was curious because I rep some companies who make parts for instrument clusters. Your best bet is probably going to be a junkyard replacement for just the lens. You can probably order one as a service part from the dealer, but I bet it's $35 or $40. A used one should be a lot cheaper. I'm more familiar with the NS cluster, which ran through 2000. Its lens was held on with T10 screws. I think your

2001 model is the RS minivan, which has a snap-on lens with no screws. You might be able to replace the lens without taking the instrument cluster all the way out.

Dan

Reply to
Dan