Who was it who mentioned Fram oil filters and dropping oil pressure?

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 07:57:47 -0600, jim wrote:

We'll see what happens after I change the Soob filter...
"Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B" wrote:

The test will only be meaningful and valid if you go to the dealer and get the manufacturers recommended filter.
If I believe what you believe I would not buy a Fram filter.
wrote:

<snip> I've covered everything I need to talk about concerning sorry Fram oil filters. And I'm sure had my fill of talking to a horses ass.
Mike Hunter wrote:

"Jim" and "Mike Hunter" are the same person? It all makes sense now.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Ah, I didn't realize that, but it all makes sense now as both seem to equally clueless, and now both are equally in the kill file.
SMS wrote:

    Sure if one bogey man story fails to support your superstitious beliefs - just create another bogey man story.

Puleeze. They're obviously different folks. And you will killfile somebody because they might use Fram oil filters? Oil filter fanaticism to the extreme!
--Vic
Vic Smith wrote:

Well, I didn't see "Mike Hunter" posting to this thread before, although he seems annoyed that he has "had his fill." And "Jim's" posts are every bit as opinionated and full of himself as I've come to expect from "Mike." So they may or may not be the same person but I thought that "Mike" was implying that he was "Jim."
In any case, this has gone on far too long, and "Jim" certainly seems every bit as pleasant to interact with as "Mike" and as immune to facts that don't fit with his preconceived worldview.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

    It certainly has. This business of getting on usenet and slamming Fram filters for no good reason has been going on for way way too long. There is no reliable data or evidence to support these slams but the perpetrators think they can gang up and bully everybody else into agreeing with them.

    I don't have an opinionated world view. Your the one promoting opinionated superstitious beliefs. My personal belief is that the difference between one filter brand and another doesn't amount to hill of beans as far as the overall effects it has on an engine. Anybody can use any filter that is designed for the application and change it before it is saturated with dirt and the chance of having a problem are practically nil. You can apply the same logic to the filter in a vacuum cleaner.
     There is no evidence that there is any greater risk when using one brand as compared to another. The way things are nowadays the average engine will outlast the rest of the car if you just follow the recommended maintenance schedule.
-jim

jim wrote:

That's what makes you so incredibly stupid. There have been MANY tests of oil filters. The Fram crap legend comes from people tearing them apart and finding them to be crap compared to other makes a few dozen times.
And your other comment about tests being "meaningless" unless compared to the mfg "recommended filter" is doubly stupid simply because Mopar. Autolite, Delco, etc, etc do not make filters, they buy them, and they buy them from different makers constantly.
"Tony D." wrote:

     Yes, so does that mean they are really crap or just that dozens of people have all come to the same erroneous conclusions? I mean, none of these people have any expertise in the manufacture and design of filters or lubricating systems. And of course when someone questions whether one can tell anything about how well a filter works by looking at it, some of these dozens of people get insulted that there judgment has been called into doubt and so they make up a story that they think proves they weren't wrong.

Yes. How clever of you to notice that.
    Here's the comment I made:
    "The test will only be meaningful and valid     if you go to the dealer and get the manufacturers      recommended filter"
    That remark was intended to be doubly stupid. This is because the "test" itself to which I was referring was already doubly (or more) stupid. The car in question was a Subaru and if the guy performing the test had taken my advice and gone to the Subaru dealer for a filter, then the filter he put on the car would have been manufactured by Fram and the results of his test would have been no different than if the "test" was done with any other brand.
-jim
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:03:43 -0500, Nate Nagel wrote:

No, 'jim' is a transplant from the Honda group. They must have all plonked him over there...
"Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B" wrote:

    Were you born brain dead or do you take medication for that?
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:43:11 -0600, jim wrote:

No. I read your tirades and it drove me mad.
Vic Smith wrote:

no, just because they're a pathological liar. Keeping what remains of Usenet useful is dependent on judicious filtering to be able to see the remaining useful content.

Far as I've seen, it's a case of disagreement, not lying. Open discourse. That's what it's all about, baby!
--Vic

I have to update my kill file on Mike Hunter frequently. He trolls with unbaited hooks.
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 05:37:28 -0800, nm5k wrote:

I started this thread because a while ago I posted a post in the Soob group about my '89 losing oil pressure. Now, the oil pressure wasn't fantastic when I bought it, but it got worse, *FAST*! Then someone made a remark about Fram oil filters. Now, I use Quaker State, Castrol and Valvoline (Mostly QS and Castrol) in my engines; never the bargain basement or Wal*Mart stuff. I get the oil at AutoZone,and they often have a deal including a Fram filter, so I get them.
I'll be replacing the Fram on the Soob with a Wix this weekend, and we'll see what happens...
It's just funny, on three different cars, after installing a Fram filter the oil pressure suffered an immediate drop!
Is it a good filter? I hope so. I usually use the Extra Gaurd, and the last 'special' was a Tough Gaurd, but still the pressure dropped...
Nate Nagel wrote:

Me and the car manufacturers and many knowledable mechanics haven't seen it as a problem.
    I have seen where a fram filter used on an old engine that previously used another brand filter did plug up pretty damn fast. And when I removed the Fram filter, it felt heavy like it was full of lead. That happened in just an hour of engine operation. So yes I do get why some people are having problems. But in my opinion the filter is not really the cause.

    The point you can't seem to grasp is that the common denominator here is not the Fram filter, but the application it is used on - an old engine. The car manufacturers have not found a problem with Fram filters on their late model engines.      Do you know for a fact that the tube on the slant six filter housing was the correct length for the filter you installed? Do you know if someone had removed or replaced that part and if replaced was it original equipment? The answer to those questions is obviously no, but yet you're superstitious belief is that the filter is to blame and not your misapplication of the filter.     BTW I just looked up that part up and it is described as OIL FILTER STANDPIPE/VALVE. That sounds to me like the engine came with a check valve in the filter outlet tube. But that valve isn't going to help prevent the symptoms you described if the tube (standpipe) is the wrong length for the filter.
This old article from Popular Mechanics contains a short description of the problem:
http://tinyurl.com/yzku2ps

You tell me what difference it makes - I don't have the engine. If I had the engine I could probably tell you where the problem is.

Yeah well maybe if a filter that removes more dirt from the oil had been used all along there would never be a problem. But you and your superstitions are free to do whatever you want.
-jim

The guy in the article said he had the same problem with all filters, so that standpipe might be the answer. I drove a '74 Dart with that 225 for years and never had an issue. Lot's of voodoo here. A knowledge of oil flow through a particular engine where Frams supposedly cause problems would be useful. I suspect most of the complaints about Fram have nothing to do with drainback, but with resistance to flow. Maybe air pocketing and how the particular system handles that. Just a guess, though. But nothing an oil pressure gage couldn't determine pretty quick with the right method.
--Vic